Experience with Savage Lightweight Hunter

Peregrine82

Hey guys!

I just wanted to see if it was possible to get feedback from anyone that may own a Savage Lightweight Hunter. I have a bunch of rifles all with heavy barrels that are 26+" long and was interested in getting a lighter rifle that would be much better suited to walking several miles with. What I have in mind in the Lightweight Hunter chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have seen several positive reviews on the rifle but many were on television where they may have been paid to promote the product. If any of you own this rifle I would love to hear your experiences and any pros or cons that you may have observed. Thank you in advance.

I really wish I could give first hand experience.

But that very rife in that very cartridge might be my next factory rifle I buy.

Good looking rife also.

I was looking and it is offered in 116 stainless no accustock or 111 wood stock.

I'd pick the 111 because the action could be epoxy bedded a lot more easily... if needed.

Hey guys!

I just wanted to see if it was possible to get feedback from anyone that may own a Savage Lightweight Hunter. I have a bunch of rifles all with heavy barrels that are 26+" long and was interested in getting a lighter rifle that would be much better suited to walking several miles with. What I have in mind in the Lightweight Hunter chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have seen several positive reviews on the rifle but many were on television where they may have been paid to promote the product. If any of you own this rifle I would love to hear your experiences and any pros or cons that you may have observed. Thank you in advance.

Hope this helps with your decision, I have a Model 10 Savage in the 6.5 CM and load my own ammo for it and it will shoot 1/4 inch groups or better all day long. This is what I use, Hornady 123 gr. SST bullets,or Sierra 123 gr MatchKing bullets, Reloader 15 powder,CCI BR2 primers and Hornady cases.

Hope this helps with your decision, I have a Model 10 Savage in the 6.5 CM and load my own ammo for it and it will shoot 1/4 inch groups or better all day long. This is what I use, Hornady 123 gr. SST bullets,or Sierra 123 gr MatchKing bullets, Reloader 15 powder,CCI BR2 primers and Hornady cases.

You should post some pic for us of those 1/4" all day groups.
Please.

I bought the 11 in .243 and it shoots so well I bought another in 6.5x284(not sure they make it anymore). They both shoot incredibly well and are nice to carry after lugging around a 30" cannon. I will probably do a build off the 116 stainless action soon.
I will add that I have only shot one shot and let the barrel cool off as it is a pencil thin barrel and gets hot fast.

You should post some pic for us of those 1/4" all day groups.
Please.

I would if I could figure out how to load them on the pc then load them on this web site. I have some pics of rifles I would like to load on here too, just not computer savvy enough yet.

I bought one for my wife a few years ago in 7mm-08. It's a decent gun but here are my thoughts about it.

1. It weighs just over 6.2 pounds bare so definitely not in the sub 6 lb range like advertised.

2. Accuracy is decent but not great, I can get MOA at best.

3. After hunting with it for two seasons the stock is seriously losing it's finish.

4. Velocity with 140 grain bullets was 150 FPS below published max data.

My advice would be to get a Tikka t3 lite. They weigh 6lbs with a 22.5 inch barrel and shoot 1/2 MOA or better all day.

If you want to go really lite get a t3 superlite from Sportsmans Warehouse, they weigh 5.8 lbs, I have a 7mm rem mag with the 24.5 inch barrel and it weighs 6 lbs even and shoots **** near one hole groups!

I really want to sell my savage and get another tikka, so if you are sold on the lightweight hunter I have on that I could make you a deal on...

My friend bought one for his wife in .308. That thing is awesome! It is super light and we get one ragged hole at 120 yards. If I had room in my gun safe, I'd pick one up.

Just bought one in 6.5 creed. Can't wait to shoot it! Topped it off with a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40. I was the same way...I have a model 10 with a pst on it and it weighs in at 11 lbs! Way too heavy for backpacking so I got this rifle for those kind of trips I'm not looking to shoot 1000 yards with it just something that can group decent at 4-500 yards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 132
Just bought one in 6.5 creed. Can't wait to shoot it! Topped it off with a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40. I was the same way...I have a model 10 with a pst on it and it weighs in at 11 lbs! Way too heavy for backpacking so I got this rifle for those kind of trips I'm not looking to shoot 1000 yards with it just something that can group decent at 4-500 yards

Sweet !!
Weigh that thing. Tell us how much.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.