savage lightweight hunter reviews

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I'm looking into a savage lightweight hunter for my lady, it will be a dedicated elk gun so I'm thinking 7mm-08 should work while keeping the recoil down in such a light package.
Anyone have some experience with that gun, or maybe some velocity numbers from a 20" barrel with 140's? I've been thinking about a 260 rem as well but it seems that the 7mm-08 just gives you a little more knockdown... Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Anyone...

I don't have any experience with the Savage lightweight hunter, but I believe if you want to go with a light recoiling caliber, get a .308 Winchester. You can load it light, then when she gets more accustomed to the rifle you can load it hotter. Huge selection of components and info on the .308 WIN out there. You could push 165/168s out of a 20" barrel at around 2700fps. Would work on elk out to 400-500yds.

I have two. One in 308 and another in 260. I love both and they make a great stalk/walking rig. These suckers a very light and so light that I had to really work on shooting such a rifle. Both shot very well and MOA with about everything I've tried. I'm not sure if we could get to 1/4 MOA but I'm able to do 1/2 to 3/4 3 shot groups. The 308 is a handful as I shoot 168gr VLDs! The 260 has already put a very nice 8 pointer down with the 127gr Barnes Long Range Hunters.

Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the 7mm-08, in between the 308 and 260 for recoil. What velocity are you getting with the 260 rem? For elk I would like to push a 140 at a minimum of 2700.

Sorry, I have not run any loads through my chrono. I tend to load in the middle of the suggested loads and find one that is most accurate. In my hunting area you will have shots limited to less than 300 yards. I would agree the 7mm-08 would be a fine round.

I would think the 160 gr bullet in the 7/08 would be a better choice for Elk, let her practice with the 140's loaded down and switch to the 160's for hunting she will never know, trust me my wife didn't, not for Elk but for black bear

I would think the 160 gr bullet in the 7/08 would be a better choice for Elk, let her practice with the 140's loaded down and switch to the 160's for hunting she will never know, trust me my wife didn't, not for Elk but for black bear

He might as well get a .308 for her and shoot 165s or 168s like I said originally.

I hear you about the 308, I've owned a few but I just don't have any love for that round, 7-08 has better sectional density and less recoil.
I like the idea of using the 140's for practice/deer, and switching to a 160 bonded bullet for elk season.
Thanks for the info guys

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts