savage 110 ba with a nightforce nsx

kshekailo919

Ok so... ive been shooting since I was 4 and love it. I reload so making my own ammo in nothing new to me. I know with precision shootin at long ranges the ammo is just as important as the the gun and optics. I am interested and always have been into long range shooting. But I have never done it. I was thinking of the savage 110ba in 338 lapua mag with a nightforce nsx 8-32 to start. This will be for target and hunting. Would this be a good starter setup. What would be a great setup if I get more serious and also what rangefinder do you guys think is the most accurate for long range shooting. Im a blue collar guy so I want to hear about things that are reasonable. Not a 20k custom gun 10k optics and mil spec range finder thats 20k. Thanks for any imput guys

For the money, the Savage 110BA is a great gun. If you buy one, remove that retarded looking rail mount and install a 30moa Murphy.

To save a bit more, check out the Savage 110 HS Precision.

Hard to beat the Leica 1600B.

I would say if your gonna drop that kind of money for a BA spend a few more and go custom , You will like it so much more after its done...

You can get a 110BA for around $1950 and the 110 HS Precision is $1300.

Custom 338 LM will easily be double the cost but if money is not an issue, custom all the way.

I have an 8x32 nxs and for me it works very well. But then i have no plans nor desires to be shooting the distances many here do. The 5.5x22 nxs has more verticle
adjustment and would offer all the power you would need. As for the Savage, for sure it would be a good place to begin. As for the cartridge choice, for very long shots there would be better 338 choices. And for closer shots like 1000 or less it is more than you need. My suggestion would be to start with something like a 300 win mag
and learn the ropes first. You may never feel the need for more gun, and its nice
having 2 guns anyway.

Thanks guys. Snowpro440 what maker or smith would u suggest for a custom. I only really know about gun work for quality long range stuff. And as for you yobuck. I have a ton of guns. I would rather buy one decent 1 for learning then selling that and buying top of the line if I'm into it. Which I'm sure I will be but I'm going to have to travel to get to a long range. But I'll camp out if I have to for a weekend of fun.

Like a 300 win mag isnt decent? I think you might be looking for an approval to a decision already made when you make comments like that. But its your dime and your time.

You will like the savage 338. That being said I went through the same thought process as you. I'm having a 338AM made and wanted something my friends could shoot and I could practice with. So what I did was bought the 338long range hunter. About $1000, removed and replaced the stock with a xlr evolution stock. About $850 and a much better stock than the 110ba in my opinion. Plus I saved a few hundred bucks. Very happy with this setup for practice.

Attachments

• 338.JPG
    338.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 17
I topped mine with a vx7 4.5-14. I'm debating on replacing it with a night force shv
5-25. So take a look at the shv or nxs scopes. As far as range finder I have no problems with the liaca 1600b

I actually have a winchester model 70 in 300 wsm. That's why I'm leaning towards the 338. It's a good accurate gun. Furthest I took it was 300 yards at a range but it's a really light gun and the shooter takes all the recoil. Not very fun after a few rounds. I want a little heavier gun.

I love the 8-32 NXS, I have it on a 338 Rum. Just make sure you get at least a 30 moa mount as this scope doesn't have as much elevation as the lower power NXS. As far as rangefinder, take a look at the g7 br2.

kshekailo919 , I would recommend this guy ,One of the top gunsmiths on ACCURATE SHOOTER as I have used him for all my builds ; He built this one for me, trued 110FCP H-S with heavy Varmit Krieger 9.5 twist shoots 300SMK's into small groups. Accuracy is his specialty. If you gather all the parts he can get it all together for you .

Bob Green
3464 Messersmith Road
York, PA 17404
Phone: (717) 792-1069
http://greensrifles.com
Email: [email protected]

Attachments

• IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 10
I thought about a higher power but after many on this sight recommended and lots of looking I decided the 25 was enough for what I'm shooting. I used to like the higher mag but if you get good glass 25 is all you will need. And as stated you are limited to the moa inside the scope. I have had no problems with 14x on min but would like to jump up a touch. I also did a 30moa rail for extra range if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.