Savage 10BA for long range hunting?

WizardM

I'm contemplating to trade in my current rifle and get the Savage 10BA 308. I love the look of the rifle, but not sure if it us too heavy to carry into field for hunting.

If any of you have or had used Savage 10ba before, please share your opinion. Do you primarily use it for target shooting, or you used it for hunting too? Do you like it or hate it?

Thanks!

Thanks Midwesthunter! Savage 110BA is in either 300 Win Mag, or 338 Lapua. 300 Win Mag would be nice, just the weight of the rifle itself without scope and bipod is already 15.75 lbs. After adding everthing is getting close to 20 lbs. It's on the heavy side for sure. I'm just wondering if anyone had use it for hunting? It might not be practical even though the 10/110BA look like awesome rifles.

I have the 110 FCP in 338 lapua, haven't shot it yet looking for a deal on a scope. But on here somewhere someone posted they had the BA and was looking for a lighter stock option as they felt it was too heavy. The 110 FCP is 5#'s lighter than the BA

I own a BA and wouldn't suggest it for a carry hunting rifle. Love the rifle, it consistently shoots 1/2 MOA with 178 AMAX. I liked the look initially, but the rail had to go after a month or two. Replaced with a Farrell 40 MOA base and Farrell rings. Looks better now. Don't remember the weight but it's up there. Think it was around 18-19 pounds with scope and bipod.

Ludicrous,would like to see pics of your BA.Ive had one for a few months now and like you I initially liked the look,but now not so much. Plus I have no use for all that rail space!
Ps. Only tried 2 rounds in it so far 250 sierras and 300 bergers. Couldnt get the 250s to shoot sub moa so I tried the 300s over several powders. Landed on 88gr of Retumbo.Consistant 1/2 moa or better now.
Xaddo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.