Savage Long Range Hunter

Or maybe I'll get a cooper xcaliber because a local gun shop has them on sale for $1200-$1300 normally $2500

howdy, pretty new here... but here is my two cents worth. I have owned several savages from 22-250 to 7mm rem mag's. Only had one i didn't care for(previous owners neglect). For the buck they are the best bang.
Tikka T3 lightweight(mine was 270wsm)= awesome rifle(after the stock got filled with foam). would buy another Tikka any day i had the extra cash.
Up until now have done everything with sporter weight factory rifles and have done just fine up to 550-600 yds. and cheap ($150.00)scopes. Am just getting into this long range stuff and would not hesitate on a Savage LRH mounted with a scope twice it's value. Kinda like using an RCBS press and higher quality dies:rolleyes:

You and I are very similar. I've been shooting out to 550 yards hunting and 700 target with cheap guns and scopes that were only $250-$350. In fact I don't understand this craze to spend $1000s on scope. I don't buy crap but I buy good deal scopes. For example, on that cooper I would put a vortex diamondback HP or a vortex Viper 30M at most and wouldn't worry about being under scopped at all. But that's just me

howdy, pretty new here... but here is my two cents worth. I have owned several savages from 22-250 to 7mm rem mag's. Only had one i didn't care for(previous owners neglect). For the buck they are the best bang.
Tikka T3 lightweight(mine was 270wsm)= awesome rifle(after the stock got filled with foam). would buy another Tikka any day i had the extra cash.
Up until now have done everything with sporter weight factory rifles and have done just fine up to 550-600 yds. and cheap ($150.00)scopes. Am just getting into this long range stuff and would not hesitate on a Savage LRH mounted with a scope twice it's value. Kinda like using an RCBS press and higher quality dies:rolleyes:

someday i will be able to afford(justify) a skies the limit gun, but not at the current time.
for me Savages are very user friendly, like the 788 Remingtons i grew up shooting. They outshot lots of expensive rifles and were very basic.
i remember lots of upset farmers shooting expensive rifles/shotguns at a turkey shoot i went to when i was 12 or 13. And i also remember them being very upset when my Savage model 67 12ga. won the trap contest with kmart shells.
for me to have a custom barreled gun with trigger work and a $300.00ish scope (weaver Kaspa tactical) and the plastic Stevens model 200 stock (modified for heavy barrel) is a step up. but that is for me and my budget. It still fire forms and holds better groups with factories better than the avg. reloader can get from handloads, not a bad place to begin the long range journey. But was very fortunate to have a friend and long time drywall partner working at a barrel company set the whole gun up.
20150711_152337.jpg

Why do you pick the cooper?
The Cooper should be every bit as accurate as the LRH, but the fit, finish and overall appearance should be noticeably nicer. LRH is very basic in these regards and while the stock is serviceable, thats about it. Up until very recently you would pay close to 1k for a new LRH, so in my mind for a few hundred more you're getting a nicer rifle.

I did the Remmy 30/06 Long Range this summer. Part way into the harvest season as a change up is soon to follow,,, on this rifle that is.
About 1700 rounds threw the 26" heavy barrel,,, weighs in at about 10 ish lbs.

All ready did the zero stress bedding, Jewel match trigger, and Nikon BDC retrical scope,,, the Wildcat Composites Stock is in.

This stock is a short light weight version of a F Class / PRS competition,,, once I rebalance the package the barrel length will be about 22" to 23".

The factory Remington Long Range Stocks are heavy,,, this is good since it has allowed me to push this rifle to the 1 km mark / 1180 yards. About 10 outting at that range. Excellent for shooting range and predictor control, but not the best packing around the bush lands, so lighting it up will improve the outting.

The last part of its life with this barrel will be in the Bush Hog style since my harvests are normally in thick timbers,,, with options to reach out there "if" needed.
The full package will be close to the 8 lb range with optics, ammo, By-pod.
Each person knows what their after,,, not to heavy,,, not to light depending on what the unit is for.

Weight is not the main factor in my builds, being able to range, swing, aim, fire along with follow up is a idea that works for me,,, close up and personal that is.

Custom works is the best as we fit the rifles to our liking,,, we will know when its right when the critters fall and targets at distance show positive signs of closer to the Bull then out side of it.

Western Canada Don

Last edited:
Am just getting into this long range stuff and would not hesitate on a Savage LRH mounted with a scope twice it's value. Kinda like using an RCBS press and higher quality dies:rolleyes:

Yep! I put a used Nightforce ($750) on my Used Savage. Fired two three shot groups. One 3/8" and the other 1/8". Overlapping is six shot group of .4"!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.