Savage long range hunter ?

Jpron

hi all, I'm new to the forum, but have been reading on here for years. A buddy asked me to help him with with Long range hunter. He's been struggling with it a bit. We're gonna start with a new scope, then I'm gonna make up some loads for him. Question is, what bullets have worked for you in this gun? It's a 300 win mag. I have a tc venture that I run 165gr sst and it's a tack driver. I'd try them, I also have some 178 gr eld-x I have to try. I hate dropping $40 on 50 bullets and use 10 of them and move on. He uses it for white tail, mule deer, and elk. I also want to make it shoot 1000yards for him(don't laugh, I do it often). He won't be shooting game that far though, maybe up 600. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

He's been struggling with it a bit.
Might help if "struggling with it a bit." was explained a bit more.
If his shooting skills or the rifle are less than adequate then reload suggestions may be a waste of time.

Put a lighter kicking rifle in his hands and see how he does. Might just be his mark 1 flinch module is online and fully functional.

The muzzle brake on the Savages are less than desirable. I know of 2 LRH in Savage that were not shooting well, on one the brake was so loose that it constantly moved whereas the brake was completely stuck on the other one. Removed the brakes (which don't do much anyway in my opinion) and they went to shooting very well.

The vertical turret basically spins freely? The scope is junk. After we replace the scope, he asked about trying some hand loads. It's not him at all.

If you know the scope is toast the put another on,and try some good factory ammo out. Hornady shoots really well in all the savages we have. My kid has been raised on Savage and Hornady ammo,and 6.5 CM is so accurate with 129 factory I quit loading for it.
Just an option that might tell you what the gun likes then reload from there. The Savage shooters forum does have lots of info on savage LRH along with some load data.

When starting with a new gun I like to use Berger and Sierra Matchking target bullets to prove to myself that there is not a gun/scope problem. Once I'm convinced that the gun shoots well, then I proceed to hunting bullets - Hornaday, Swift, Nosler... For African plains game I've had great performance with Barnes TSX out of my .300 WSM. Good luck.

I have a Savage LRH 300 WM and it's a consistent 1/2" MOA shooter. I tried lots of load combos prior to settling on 212 ELD-X, Nosler Brass, 75.6 gr H1000 and Rem 9 1/2 mag primers. Average velocity is 2860 fps measured with my Labradar. A 400 yd ladder test really helped me fine tune this load. After completing the ladder I played around with seating depth and ended up with best accuracy at 3.450" OAL. You may want to give it a try.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-x-loads-for-300-win-mag.194386/#post-1364067

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.