Savage long range hunter 7mm

sea duck

Hello Men,
I'm looking for some input on my New Savage 7mm, I haven't picked up a scope yet but have been looking at huskemaw 5-20, night force 4-14 lepould , my shooting could average 100-700 yards on deer,moose,bear and an occasional Yote.
I don't want a cherry on a Popsicle but money is not an issue. What would you suggest? I'm in the northeast,Also what loads would you recommend in the 165/168 gr. class? Bullet manufacturers, powder,etc. I've always had excellent performance with
Sierra,Nosler. 140 Nosler in my .280 are devastating with reloaded 19. Any and ALL
HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!
Thanks,
Mitch :)lightbulb

I also have a LRH in 7mm RM. It has been a great gun so far. I am getting .5 moa groups at 100 yards with 71 grs of H1000, Berger 168 gr hunting vld's, and CCI 250 primers. As far as scopes pick one that suits your needs. The ones you mentioned are all nice scopes.

Attachments

• 2014-01-12_15-27-02_546.jpg
    2014-01-12_15-27-02_546.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 110
You should start lower and work up to that load. It's over the recommended max. Every gun is different. I have a custom 7RM and get pressure signs at 70 grains of H1000.

71 grains is the max load per Hodgdon. I have read of others using more with no signs of pressure. I worked my way up to 71 and that was by far the most accurate from my set up.

Sea Duck, you will love your "big 7." Nothing, and I mean nothing, shoots as soft, goes as fast or hits as hard...all things being equal. You will laugh at the 300 WinMag guys at all ranges and save your shoulder at the same time. You have to move into the .338's to get the same energy at 1000yds as the 7mmRM, and you pay a heft price in recoil and powder for a modest increase in down range performance.

I shoot a Remington 700 Sendero II with 168 Berger VLD (hunting) into .3 to .5 all day long at 200yds. The gun is stock save the addition of BeadHead pillars and some Steelbed bedding.

My pet load is as follows: Winchester, once-fired brass; neck turned to .11; 168 Berger VLD-hunting bullets set .001 off the lands. It doesn't seem to matter whether the (Winchester) brass is full length resized or neck sized only, as long as it is once fired-it is good to go. I load 72.0gr of H1000 on top of a Rem 215 magnum primer which starts out at 3060fps from a 26" barrel. NOTE! this is well above the published SAAMI max load!!!! This is definitely not a beginner's load and it was worked up after many long stints at the range.

Stay at least 5% below SAAMI max and watch, I mean really, really watch for pressure signs. A new barrel is not the same as a well seasoned pipe so stay on the lighter-load side and observe proper barrel break in protocols until you have at least 100rds thru the pipe. Then you can start to work up the load that works in your gun. A good chronograph, a comparator and good, match grade dies are an absolute must with any load development.

Good luck and good shooting-neither is a coincidence.

Idefendem

Thanks a million Guys, I APPRECIATE THIS! Being a reloader I know how much time
You guys have saved me plus THE EXPERIENCED INPUT IS PRICELESS!

MITCH:):)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.