savage 12 LVP long range hunting

matt_3479

I currently own a Browning a-bolt 300. wsm which is a great little gun but i want to get into long range. I also own a 7mm rem mag BDL which is the perfect carry rifle. i had a buddy offer me money for the 300. wsm and i started thinking i could pick up the savage 12 LVP and make it my long range hunting and target rig.

I really love the 300. wsm caliber and i know the win mag is much better but its not offered in this gun and the wsm saves me barrel life. I have heard great things. i would have it topped with a vortex viper pst, harris swival bipod. It will be used for moose, elk, whitetail, long range targets out too 800 yards. I was just curious on peoples thoughts.

Go for it. My VLP works great. Shot very well in original equipment. I have since put it is a B&C, and rebarreled. Mine started as a .308 Win, rechambered to 300WSM. I had about 1200rnds as a 308, and about 1200rnds of 300WSM, before the factory barrel gave up the ghost. It is a very capable rifle.

Tank

Like i said it will be used for targets as well as hunting. What glass do you have on top and what would you say it weights?

What kind of accuracy do you get out of it? would you suggest it over the 700 Sendero?

Like i said it will be used for targets as well as hunting. What glass do you have on top and what would you say it weights?

What kind of accuracy do you get out of it? would you suggest it over the 700 Sendero?

I am a bit of a Savage fan soooooo..... yep, I would take it over a 700. It weighed right at 12.5# with a Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster. I used EGW 20MOA base with Burris XTR rings. It shot .5-.75 MOA with good loads. I shot groundhogs at 605yds (thru the head), 628, and 648yds. The head shot was a purposeful aim. It was standing. That's with a factory tube, RL17, Wolf primers, Win brass, and 208 A-max's at 2750fps.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts