SAT phone rental--help!

cohunt

scheduled to set up camp for elk hunting this friday morning--wifes grandma just went into the hospital this past Saturday night
we don't get cell reception in the elk hunting area we are heading so I need to rent a SAT phone ASAP (probably need to get it on order today to get it here in CO by Thursday at the latest)

has anyone rented a SAT phone before? if you how was the experience and what company did you use--I am frantically trying to google-foo the heck out of sat phone rental companies as we speak but it would be nice to have someone with a little prior experience doing so

I've only used Irridium. My uses have been international in rugged mountains. I'm told the Irridium is the most reliable in those conditions, but I've had no first hand opportunity to compare.

i see globarstar is a US ph#, where the irridiums are not but it seems some companies have an upgrade cost to get a us ph#

looks like the inmarsat uses only 3 "stationary" satellites so if something is block one of those sats you are sol

Last edited:
https://www.outfittersatellite.com/

I've used this company a couple of times with good luck. They were recommended to me by a booking agent for international hunts who has used them for years.
wow, just contacted that company and they ship it to you for free but charge you $12.50 for each of the days it is in transit ( 2 day air) --then you have to pay to ship it back and they still charge you 12.50/day for shipping time--that ends up being an extra $50 for daily fees during the shipping days that you cant even use it--hidden fees to make their pricing look better-- there are other companies out there taht are disclosing all the fees

I did get a response back from globalcomsatphone.com, and they suggest the iridium phones over the globalstar phones for better coverage

scheduled to set up camp for elk hunting this friday morning--wifes grandma just went into the hospital this past Saturday night
we don't get cell reception in the elk hunting area we are heading so I need to rent a SAT phone ASAP (probably need to get it on order today to get it here in CO by Thursday at the latest)

has anyone rented a SAT phone before? if you how was the experience and what company did you use--I am frantically trying to google-foo the heck out of sat phone rental companies as we speak but it would be nice to have someone with a little prior experience doing so

really gotta watch-- some of these guys really gouge you on shipping-- shipping rates are not disclosed till you check out then they stick it to ya--Ive had rates as high as $300 for 2 day shipping both ways (they usually require the 2 day air back to them)

OK-- had to make the decision now before it gets too late and shipping goes from 2 day to next day

went with satellitephonestore.com in San Diego CA-- salesman's name was Tyler (super nice, helpful, informative) and he cut the shipping fees in 1/2 over the online price if I called direct (I'm sure he gets commission) -- but that way I kew it would be processed correctly and I had the rental receipt and agreement in less than 30 seconds after my CC was billed, I e-signed the agreement while on the phone with Tyler, and the SAT phones will be in the mail with tracking tomorrow in the AM

cost for an iridium 9555 and a 9575 (has 1 touch SOS button for emergencies) with 30 min air time each, and a US ph# for the 9555 was about 350 with a refundable 50 deposit--this included 2 day air both directions

closest other price was satmodo.com -- cost would have been about 40-50 more but that also included 30 min more airtime per phone

3rd option was globalcomsatphone.com-- cost was about 35-40 more but with 40 min of air time per phone

4th option was mobal.com-- $150 per phone for the rental BUT no prepaid air time options, cost is $2/min for ph and $1.50 ea for texts -- usage fees could add up quick

I researched about 6 different companies and did online chats and put the phones "in cart" to compare-- as noted earlier some of the companies wont give you shipping costs until you go to check out so the initial costs can be deceiving--im sure i will be receiving all sorts of junk e-mails now as they all required an e-mail address to continue.

wife will just need to keep her airtime below 30 min or then they change $2/min if you go over--not that big of a deal breaker as if the air time is needed we are willing to pay

I have no affiliation with any of these companies and at this time have no reviews other than my interactions with Tyler (which I was impressed with so far) I will try to remember to update on how it works and how smooth the rental goes once I get back-- some phones do have internet options BUT data transfer is extremely slow and discouraged and very expensive for web time so I wont be checking in while im away

OK-- had to make the decision now before it gets too late and shipping goes from 2 day to next day

went with satellitephonestore.com in San Diego CA-- salesman's name was Tyler (super nice, helpful, informative) and he cut the shipping fees in 1/2 over the online price if I called direct (I'm sure he gets commission) -- but that way I kew it would be processed correctly and I had the rental receipt and agreement in less than 30 seconds after my CC was billed, I e-signed the agreement while on the phone with Tyler, and the SAT phones will be in the mail with tracking tomorrow in the AM

cost for an iridium 9555 and a 9575 (has 1 touch SOS button for emergencies) with 30 min air time each, and a US ph# for the 9555 was about 350 with a refundable 50 deposit--this included 2 day air both directions

closest other price was satmodo.com -- cost would have been about 40-50 more but that also included 30 min more airtime per phone

3rd option was globalcomsatphone.com-- cost was about 35-40 more but with 40 min of air time per phone

4th option was mobal.com-- $150 per phone for the rental BUT no prepaid air time options, cost is $2/min for ph and $1.50 ea for texts -- usage fees could add up quick

I researched about 6 different companies and did online chats and put the phones "in cart" to compare-- as noted earlier some of the companies wont give you shipping costs until you go to check out so the initial costs can be deceiving--im sure i will be receiving all sorts of junk e-mails now as they all required an e-mail address to continue.

wife will just need to keep her airtime below 30 min or then they change $2/min if you go over--not that big of a deal breaker as if the air time is needed we are willing to pay

I have no affiliation with any of these companies and at this time have no reviews other than my interactions with Tyler (which I was impressed with so far) I will try to remember to update on how it works and how smooth the rental goes once I get back-- some phones do have internet options BUT data transfer is extremely slow and discouraged and very expensive for web time so I wont be checking in while im away
This is who i use for SAT phone rental in the past. Simple and affordable. Mostly just use my Garmin inReach to text message. Honestly cohunt, if you can use two features on your smartphone, you can use the inReach without issue, its that simple.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.