Salt Bath Annealing

I'm sure I've already mentioned here & elsewhere that FULL annealing is not what we need or want.
We need brass with good/consistent elasticity. That is between dead soft and over-work hardened.
A dip into ~850deg for ~5sec to any reasonable time beyond resets grain back to what we need.
It's simple to do this with dipping, without getting anything wrong. Turn a lee pot dial ~3/4, come back in 1/2hr, get a thermocouple measure, tweak it to desired, ready to dip cases to any depth you desire. Necks, shoulders, right down to half the body if desired.
The heat is soaking the brass from inside and outside at the right temperature. The brass goes right to it and none below or above.
There is no timing to be concerned with really, as grain recovery (for that temp) happens fast (while actually at that temp). You're not trying to reach the right brass temperature with a way wrong heating temperature (using timing).
It's been pointed out with testing that dip annealing does not full anneal, and that's a plus for it. You couldn't get it wrong if you tried.

View attachment 342154View attachment 342155View attachment 342156
Since heating is not instantaneous and with the goal being to reduce the hardness to under 100 for best results it seems time would be an important factor.

how long does the AMP take to do a brass ?
You do realize the temperature of the flame on the AMP is much higher than the 500-600c temps the salt bath is capable of don't you? Hence the flame heats up the brass far quicker.

The Amp annealer has different time/speed settings based on case size so there's no single answer to your question.

I can melt solid brass rod with a torch in as little as about 3 seconds depending on how hot I set my flame and the size rod I'm using for brazing.

The hardness testing doesn't seem to indicate that it is.

Best results were achieved with 9-11 seconds according to everything I can find on the subject.
That's reasonable. I've been dip annealing for 47yrs, and have never needed to 'time' a dip.
I just take my time, and given that my temperature is right, I really can't get it wrong. For a shoulder level dip, I probably take ~15sec, for a mid-body dip, ~20-30sec.
Now if you wanted to full anneal, then temperatures and timings are all different. AMP is right about that, it's nothing new.
But that has never been what I want with cartridge brass.

If I was forming something like a 17BMG, then I would just pull out a torch and full anneal before hitting BMG cases with all that work.
Just the same as Lapua heating their brass with torches while fully forming new cases from ingots.
How many of us ever need that?

Last edited:
That's reasonable. I've been dip annealing for 47yrs, and have never needed to 'time' a dip.
I just take my time, and given that my temperature is right, I really can't get it wrong. For a shoulder level dip, I probably take ~15sec, for a mid-body dip, ~20-30sec.
Now if you wanted to full anneal, then temperatures and timings are all different. AMP is right about that, it's nothing new.
But that has never been what I want with cartridge brass.
They last thing I'd want is for my cases to soften at the head end. I can't see anything coming from that other than serious problems.

Just curious have you ever sent out any of your non annealed brass and annealed brass for hardness testing ?

I can't see anything good being gained myself by annealing much below the shoulder/body junction.

When I'm improving cases (with a wildcat), I'm usually reducing body taper and increasing shoulder angle.
Sometimes I'm moving the shoulder and neck back.
So before applying a lot of energy and 1st fire forming, I do a deep dip.
And as suggested, I'm not full annealing. Just taking cases to a good working standard.
No splits or failures, and I don't have to re-work harden the brass.

Hardness in itself is not a sole indicator of brass elasticity in hoop form.
Currently, nobody has a test that truly applies for us.
But you can see when your brass has lost it's life, it's spring back, you went too far. And you can see when it's springing back too much for your sizing plan. Time to reset it.
That's our standard.

When I'm improving cases (with a wildcat), I'm usually reducing body taper and increasing shoulder angle.
Sometimes I'm moving the shoulder and neck back.
So before applying a lot of energy and 1st fire forming, I do a deep dip.
And as suggested, I'm not full annealing. Just taking cases to a good working standard.
No splits or failures, and I don't have to re-work harden the brass.

Hardness in itself is not a sole indicator of brass elasticity in hoop form.
Currently, nobody has a test that truly applies for us.
But you can see when your brass has lost it's life, it's spring back, you went too far. And you can see when it's springing back too much for your sizing plan. Time to reset it.
That's our standard.
what would that tester look like ? there is the webster hardness tester

what would that tester look like ? there is the webster hardness tester
It's not a test for hardness alone. It would be a test for needed elasticity that you can manage consistently.
What's right -vs- wrong would come down to the cartridge dimensions and brass thickness and alloy content and what suits your sizing plan.
Ideally your brass would consistently spring back from sizing to same dimension, and with same force (for neck tension).
That's not reaching for an extreme one way or another. It's managing needed balance.

The only negative criticisms I've see all came from an article written by the company that manufactures the AMP annealing machines that run about 950.00 more than one of these if you have to buy everything to get set up the first time.

I can understand why they'd be negative on SB annealing.
They're being critical in the sense that the exact kind of annealing Mike is looking for isn't what they're looking for. To be honest, the candor in AMPs article saying flame annealing works and is their preferred option to me indicates they're not criticizing salt bath just out of hand to push product, they really do have data to show it doesn't do what they want it to do. Basically two different goals being met, but they think their goal is the correct one.

how long does the AMP take to do a brass ?
3 seconds or less? I'll run through 100 in as fast as I can put them in and take them out, but that's the biggest batch of brass I'm likely to ever do.

Last edited:
They last thing I'd want is for my cases to soften at the head end. I can't see anything coming from that other than serious problems.
Nothing happens with brass until passing 450degF. For shoulder depths I hold cases by hand at the rims when I dip, and there is no heat building at the case head to matter. Even with short 6BR length cases.

They're being critical in the sense that the exact kind of annealing Mike is looking for isn't what they're looking for. To be honest, the candor in AMPs article saying flame annealing works and is their preferred option to me indicates they're not criticizing salt bath just out of hand to push product, they really do have data to show it doesn't do what they want it to do. basically two different goals being met.

3 seconds or less? I'll run through 100 in as fast as I can put them in and take them out, but that's the biggest batch of brass I'm likely to ever do.
Call me crazy but anytime your method or product is being criticized by your competitors I'm always going to be at least a bit skeptical.

What their testing showed was that on heavy/thick brass like Lapua Brass, 5-8 seconds only had a marginal effect.

What they didn't do was a test running thinner brass or run that same Lapua brass through the process for 9-11 seconds which seems to be the magic point based on what I've been able to find.

One thing it tells me is that it would be very hard to over anneal the brass by this method rendering it useless.