Salt Bath Annealing Practical Experiment

Very interesting. I'll add to this as I'm interested in the SBA method and feel it's sound.

A member here sent me two cases, one annealed at 550C per the SBA instructions and one that had been fired 4-5 times.

I tested them with a Rockwell tester. We had no standard for brass so no way to determine the actual level of annealing or how much the brass had work hardened in those 4-5 firings.

It tested 86 for the annealed and 90.6 for the fired. Again, not a huge spread but it does show that the process softens the brass. Additionally, like I said, I feel that 4-5 firings isn't work hardening the brass very much.

Very interesting. I'll add to this as I'm interested in the SBA method and feel it's sound.

A member here sent me two cases, one annealed at 550C per the SBA instructions and one that had been fired 4-5 times.

I tested them with a Rockwell tester. We had no standard for brass so no way to determine the actual level of annealing or how much the brass had work hardened in those 4-5 firings.

It tested 86 for the annealed and 90.6 for the fired. Again, not a huge spread but it does show that the process softens the brass. Additionally, like I said, I feel that 4-5 firings isn't work hardening the brass very much.

Which Rockwell scale were you using? If it was the B scale, which is very common, then those Rockwell numbers convert to 184HV and 165HV respectively. This is within the range of harnesses the head of the case should be. (See this from the Norma site for example: https://www.norma-ammunition.com/en/Our-Products/components/Cases/) Also at that hardness you can expect to see some degree of error. (Unless these numbers are an average over multiple readings and over multiple cases with the same set conditions)

Rockwell is also not recommended when measuring thin or small work pieces due to the weights of the load and the diameter of the indent increasing the chance of measuring the anvil the piece is supported by or the surrounding resin the piece is mounted within.

This is why brass manufacturers use Vickers testers, including Norma as seen above, to test their brass hardness.

Interesting I'm not sure which scale was used but believe it was the B. We are mostly testing aluminum and I agree it's not the best yo test brass with but was just trying to see if there was a difference between the two.

Very nice write up. Thanks for taking the time. Question, how often did you aneal the (5) for the second test. Only at the beginning after the initial (2) firings, or every (2), or ?

Very nice write up. Thanks for taking the time. Question, how often did you aneal the (5) for the second test. Only at the beginning after the initial (2) firings, or every (2), or ?
Every two firings, the first step was SBA then (the test starts with 2 firings cases), then I reload, fire, reload, then SBA until they failed.

Great information. Never having done it, how do you reform the primer pocket? Don't mean to get off the subject.

Thanks. I will be viewing videos for a while.
One of the members here had a post on that, but I can't remember the details and I think it was inside another thread. Basically he used a ball bearing inside the case and tapped it with a rod. Might have been Elkaholic (Rich Sherman)?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.