Sako

A bit weird given that the TRG 22 in 260 Rem more or less started as a special order from EuroOptic and AFAIK they are in great demand.

Cheers

In the time I've been on here there are 2 things I've learned and it has taken me some time. 1. If I can't put a Jewel trigger on it, I probably wouldn't buy it. 2. If I want to tinker, go Savage, only real issue with a Savage is Jewel doesn't make a trigger for them.

Remington
Winchester
Savage for tinkerers

The first 2 you can get a jewel trigger on.

:)

2cents

I have owned or shot an L-61, L-61R, 995, 579, 591, Riihimaki, and S-491. Calibers ran from .222 Remington to .416 Remington. All except the L-61 and 995 had custom barrels and shot lights out. The beautiful L-61 was factory stock in .30-06 but could only average 1.5 moa. The 995 was about the same, but used as a DGR at less than 100 yds did the job.

I found all of them to be very fine actions, but 2 of them had dinky separate recoil lugs that didn't work and had custom recoil lugs fabricated and installed.

My favorites were the Riihimaki and the L-61R. Oh yeah, the L series also had beautiful stocks.

The 995 was a large, strong action, but had a NOTCH in the bottom of the action as a recoil lug.

My experience with Beretta USA sucked. I never even got anyone to answer the phone or emails. Finally gave up and went to Jack First and Midwest Gun Works.

Weatherby MK V's and Rem 700's make more sense, but I do love the early Sako actions. None of the factory rifles impressed me with accuracy, but with Lilja, Krieger, or Hart barrels, they were superb shooters.

Bottom line, The crappy customer service and design short-cuts would stop me from buying any new Sako rifle. The separate recoil lug is a disaster in my opinion.

Tom

In the time I've been on here there are 2 things I've learned and it has taken me some time. 1. If I can't put a Jewel trigger on it, I probably wouldn't buy it. 2. If I want to tinker, go Savage, only real issue with a Savage is Jewel doesn't make a trigger for them.

Remington
Winchester
Savage for tinkerers

The first 2 you can get a jewel trigger on.

:)

2cents

Interesting. My two or three best triggers are sakos. next a couple of shilen; then jewel is about 6th or 7th.

I agree. I've had a few Jewel triggers on rifles. Not one was as good as any Sako or Tikka for that matter. For the record I have two Savage rifles with the Accutrigger and with my "tinkering", I would put it up against a Jewel any day.

I should have qualified- the 2 oz jewell on my brothers F-class rifle isGreat and is what i would get. i was talking on sporting rifles. the sporting rifle jewell i have is a great and consistent trigger. well made. the others i mentioned are just a little crisper. totally subjective. llike choosing between a 400 hp charger or camaro.

I have a SAKO and a Jewel trigger (on a 700 action). The SAKO is a ncie trigger, but in "my" experience it does not compare to the Jewel. The Jewel is set to 12 oz and the SAKO is set to the minimum 2 lb. That might be the difference, but the Jewel breaks like glass.

I think the M85 is one of the best production acti0ns there is.... other than the cheezy recoil lug set up. Fit and finish, smoothness, excellent easy to adjust trigger, 3 lug CRF with fixed ejector. Great action... too bad about the cost savings approach to something as critical as the recoil lug and too bad Beretta is associated with it. A real shame.

Anyway, in my experience, the Jewel trigger is clearly above the SAKO trigger... although the SAKO trigger is a very good trigger.

I don't have any experience with Sako, but I have been reading a lot of reviews on the 85 model, and in particular in 338 Federal.

Some interesting things come up:
- Even though it is presented as being a controlled action feed, it does not actually appear to be this, sort of a push feed with the end of load cycle being controlled.
- At least 2 of the reviewers had guns that had passed the internal Sako 100 yard / 3 shot test, and used the exact recommended ammo, but failed to achieve the 100 yard bench test result on their own Sako rifles in 338 Federal. Nonetheless, they felt the guns shot "well enough" to keep.
- Everyone seems to fall in love with the smooth flowing bolt action
I generally don't care for the look of laminate stocks (polymers look better to me) but the Sako 85 gray wolf does look appealing to me.

The whole thing kind of reminds me of desktop computers. I could build up a custom desktop exactly the way I want it and get better performance, but I can't build my own, better desktop than the price HP sells them for.

I bought my first Sako (a L61R 30-06) in 1968 mail order from Herters for $168 and change. Didn't need an FFL or anything - just sent a check and the rifle showed up at the door. I don't remember how I decided on that brand but am I ever glad I did. It is to this day the smoothest action I've ever handled meaning they never bind in even the slightest way. Every other rifle is a little disappointing because of that though I have other rifles and can live with them. A few years after getting the 30-06, I acquired an L579 action I had build into a 6mm Rem. The 06 has since been rebarreled with a Kreiger heavy sporter. The very nice looking white line recoil pads turned to rock years ago and have been replaced with Limbsavers. I'm running 80 grain Barnes TTSXs at 3,400 fps in the 6mm Rem. The last 4-shot group measured 1.218" at 200 yards. This is a deer killing machine and is my favorite.

In the 06 I'm running 150 grain TTSXs at 3,023 fps and it put 3 shots into 0.812" at 200 yards at the last attempt so it is working good. The triggers on both of these rifles have been tweaked from the factory setup and are basically perfect.

These older actions don't have recoil lugs. They had a step milled into the action right under the chamber. It doesn't get any better than that.

I just bought another Sako Finnbear L61R that I have not received yet though it has been shipped. It is a 7mm Rem Mag. I plan to pull the barrel and turn it into a 26 Nosler. Sooo... my recommendation, buy a Sako - an older model and have your gunsmith turn it into whatever you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.