Sako

I've owned 2 Sakos and 6 Tikkas (made by Sako) and I feel there are the best mass produced rifles in the world. I have not one that would do 1/2 MOA or less groups. Most are more like 1/4 inch groups. Not sure what kind of hunting you hope to due so can't comment about that.

You cannot go wrong with a Sako/Tikka( Now owned by Barretta). I do not know what you financial situation is, but a Tikke T3 will do everything the Sako will, at half the price. let us know what type of hunting you are looking to do and we can point you in the right directiongun)

Here's my experience with a SAKO and Beretta. Most SAKO and Tikka owners have had good luck but not all. My experience was terrible and I am not the only one, especially with Beretta CS. Will never buy another Beretta product again... period. If you get a lemon They will not stand behind it.

Last 3 shot group I fired was 4" @ 100 yds. It will getting a new stock and rebarreled/chambered.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/no-recoil-lug-what-say-ye-49659/

I know that every manufacturer has a bad day. From my experience with Tikka, has been nothing but great. sub half inch groups at 100(.436) 2 inch groups at 400. Just a inexpensive Tikka T3 lite in stainless steel. 499.00 is what I paid for my .270wsm. As for MontanaRifleman's complaint with the customer service, I can not comment as I have not has any issues.
Montana, I talked with Kari Cook at the Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg this year. She is in charge of Tikka marketing/customer service in the US. She told me if I hear any complaints to give that person her email and she would see what she can do. so.. here it is. [email protected]. Matbe she can help. Good Luck:D

I know that every manufacturer has a bad day. From my experience with Tikka, has been nothing but great. sub half inch groups at 100(.436) 2 inch groups at 400. Just a inexpensive Tikka T3 lite in stainless steel. 499.00 is what I paid for my .270wsm. As for MontanaRifleman's complaint with the customer service, I can not comment as I have not has any issues.
Montana, I talked with Kari Cook at the Great American Outdoor show in Harrisburg this year. She is in charge of Tikka marketing/customer service in the US. She told me if I hear any complaints to give that person her email and she would see what she can do. so.. here it is. [email protected]. Matbe she can help. Good Luck:D

Thanks, I will contact her. I do understand that any rifle company will occasionally have a lemon get through and I accept that. What is unacceptable was my experience with Beretta CS. They will not stand behind their products. Not in my experience. I sent the rifle back to them twice, through the dealer I bought it from and twice they returned it to me saying there was nothing wrong with it. They said all it needed was a good cleaning which I assume is their standard answer. That was total BS as I had thoroughly cleaned it each time with Bore Tech Eliminator before sending it to them. I know how to clean a rifle as confirmed by several bore scope inspections by gun smiths. They said each time that they got a lot of copper out of the bore. I don't like using the word "lie", but I don't know what other word to use. They did not get any copper out of those bores. They sent a computer/sensor generated target that they said they fired to test the rifles accuracy. Each target measured less than an inch for 5 shots. No bullet holes, just a computer generated shot target. I have shot dozens of groups through that rifle with various factory and hand loads, including 2 boxes of the specific factory ammo they recommended. The best group I ever got was 1.2" for 5 shots and anything under 2" was rare, with 2-4" being the norm.

Also, the recoil lug IS an issue. Member Varberger from Norway said this in post #39 of the linked thread.

This problem around the recoil - lug in Sakos/Tikkas is known quite a while and many are still wondering why Beretta (owner) doesn't solve the issue in a reasonable way for their customers. Many of these rifles in a calibre stronger than 308W are worn out on short terms due to the bed/support of their recoil - lug. :rolleyes: It should be quite an easy operation to install something more durable. Maybe profits are an obstacle...

I spent $220 having another recoil lug milled.

Is sako a good reliable accurate rifle? What is the best sako model for hunting?

I own 2 Sako's (TRG22 in 308 and an 85 Stainless Varmint in .260) as well as 5 Tikka T3's (2 x Stainless Varmints in .223 and .260, a Stainless Lite in .308, a Stainless Hunter in 6.5x55, a Sporter in .308 and I have a Stainless Hunter Fluted in .204 on order). Sako's and Tikka's are very popular here in Australia and for the money are hard to beat. Both the Sako and Tikka's have one of the best user adjustable trigger of any production rifle on the market and the accuracy guarantee is probably one of the best of any production (non custom) rifle. Tikka's Guarantee a 3 shot 1" group for the light weight barrels and a 5 shot 1" group for the heavy barreled Tikka's. The Sako has an accuracy guarantee of 5 shot 1" group for all their rifles.

If you have the money I would get a Sako 85 before a Tikka T3. The Sako's have a better action (come in 5 different action lengths where the Tikka only come in one but the bolt stop is at different lengths to suit the cartridge). The Sako also has a much better Stock, Recoil Lug set up and the (detachable box) Magazines are great and allow you to load your projectiles further out of the case (up o the lands) where the tikka doesn't. Also the Mags on the Sako's are all metal double stacked and feed flawlessly were the Tikka's are polymer single stack and some have had trouble feeding (I only had trouble with one of my mags but got that exchanged under warranty).

If you want a Sako on a Tikka budget look at the Sako A7 still not as good as the 85 but a small step up from the Tikka. The A7 also have a (single stack) polymer Mag but with steel feed lips and is a bit more ridged, problem is they only take 3 rounds. If you want a great dedicated hunting look no further than the Sako 85 Finnlight or the 85 Stainless Synthetic (Finnlight being the pick). They both have a fantastic non slip grip stock and is very ridgid stock, if you want a wooden stock look at the 85 Hunter. If I had the money I would change all my rifles including the Tikka's over to Sako 85's no questions asked.

I hope this helps, if you need anymore info please just ask.

Thanks, I will contact her. I do understand that any rifle company will occasionally have a lemon get through and I accept that. What is unacceptable was my experience with Beretta CS. They will not stand behind their products. Not in my experience. I sent the rifle back to them twice, through the dealer I bought it from and twice they returned it to me saying there was nothing wrong with it. They said all it needed was a good cleaning which I assume is their standard answer. That was total BS as I had thoroughly cleaned it each time with Bore Tech Eliminator before sending it to them. I know how to clean a rifle as confirmed by several bore scope inspections by gun smiths. They said each time that they got a lot of copper out of the bore. I don't like using the word "lie", but I don't know what other word to use. They did not get any copper out of those bores. They sent a computer/sensor generated target that they said they fired to test the rifles accuracy. Each target measured less than an inch for 5 shots. No bullet holes, just a computer generated shot target. I have shot dozens of groups through that rifle with various factory and hand loads, including 2 boxes of the specific factory ammo they recommended. The best group I ever got was 1.2" for 5 shots and anything under 2" was rare, with 2-4" being the norm.

Also, the recoil lug IS an issue. Member Varberger from Norway said this in post #39 of the linked thread.

All my Sako's and Tikka's have shoot well under MOA with just about all ammo I have put through it including the cheap stuff.

A number of companies sell aftermarket Recoil Lugs for the Tikka (ie: Stainless and Titanium) from as little as ($25-$30 ea) and an upgraded Recoil Lug is really only needed on the heavier rounds (ie: .300WM, .300WSM, .338WM, 9.3x62 ect).

Like i said the Sako's and Tikka's are by far the most popular rifles in Australia, if you go to this Australian Hunting/Shooting forum and ask any questions about any concerns you may have with Tikkas and Sakos you well get truckload of honest answers
Australian Hunting Net
You have to register to see the forums

All my Sako's and Tikka's have shoot well under MOA with just about all ammo I have put through it including the cheap stuff.

A number of companies sell aftermarket Recoil Lugs for the Tikka (ie: Stainless and Titanium) from as little as ($25-$30 ea) and an upgraded Recoil Lug is really only needed on the heavier rounds (ie: .300WM, .300WSM, .338WM, 7mmRM, 9.3x62 ect).

Like i said the Sako's and Tikka's are by far the most popular rifles in Australia, if you go to this Australian Hunting/Shooting forum and ask any questions about any concerns you may have with Tikkas and Sakos you well get truckload of honest answers
australiahunting dot net
You have to register to see the forums

It's sad to see Beretta in the USA is not much chop, Beretta Australia would be one of the best companies to deal with here in Australia and also has one of their product managers on australianhunting forum everyday answering question about the products they distribute.

I have three Sako 85s - a blued walnut Hunter in.308 Win, a blued walnut heavy barrel Varmint in .223 Rem and a stainless Varmint in .260 Rem. They all shoot better than 0.5 MOA with my hand loads and I've done better than 0.25 MOA @ 100 metres when I'm really on the ball. And this is out-of-the-box. As others have witnessed the triggers are a dream, the bolts are as smooth as butter and the magazines - I'm lost for words. Of course I'm biased but with these rifles I have every reason to be that. :)

Sakos are highly regarded in Europe where I live at the moment. Action lengths are calibre specific and the Hunter is now available as a lefty in a large range of calibre's.

They are a premium product and if you're interested then get to a dealer and handle a few. If the rifle doesn't fit you then it doesn't matter how good it is.

Of course every manufacturer has lemons, some more than others, but these issues can most certainly be resolved. I know for a fact that Beretta Aus has an exemplary CS and Australia is the world's second largest importer (after the US) of Sako and Tikka rifles. If Beretta US customer service is lacking then this is unfortunate and they should get their act together.

BTW, I happened to read on the Finnish Broadcasting Company's website last week that the Sako factory put out 100 000 Sakos and Tikkas last year and are expanding the factory with a goal of 120 000 for 2014.

Cheers

As a huge fan of Sako/Tikka it is without question from a customer in the U.S. that the worst thing that ever happened to that company is the day they let the Beretta execs walk in the door. I still buy the rifles but I fear that the Beretta empire will destroy a wonderful rifle company. Beretta will not import all the Tikka models to the U.S. because the sales are not large enough for some calibers. I understand that a company has to make money but Beretta requires a very large margin. Most dealers have to go through a middle man to get a Sako/Tikka because Beretta requires such a large order.

As a huge fan of Sako/Tikka it is without question from a customer in the U.S. that the worst thing that ever happened to that company is the day they let the Beretta execs walk in the door. I still buy the rifles but I fear that the Beretta empire will destroy a wonderful rifle company. Beretta will not import all the Tikka models to the U.S. because the sales are not large enough for some calibers. I understand that a company has to make money but Beretta requires a very large margin. Most dealers have to go through a middle man to get a Sako/Tikka because Beretta requires such a large order.

Yes I have heard Beretta USA is not the best to deal with. I also think it's stupid that they don't import certain rifles and calibers, for instance they (Beretta USA) doesnt import any Tikka or Sako in .260 rem where as they do in Australia. I have email Beretta USA (them not knowing i didnt live in the US) and asked why and was told "they wouldn't sell". What a bunch of Morons

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.