Sako TRGS (m995) 300wm

I've had 2 of the TRG-S's in 338 LM.
One is now a 30/338 LM Imp. with a 31" Lilja barrel bedded in a McMillan A5 and the other one is going to become a custom 338 LM with an ABS/Rock barrel in a Manners T4 stock.
I like the action and think it's good for a custom build.
Wayne aka WAMBO

I bought a M995 action in the factory stock and put a 26" Shilen #5 1-10" barrel on it. Chambered it for .300WM. It shot pretty well, but I struggled with the tupperware stock if I didn't rest it really far back under the receiver. I eventually opened the barrel channel up waaaaay wide and it was better.

Eventually I bought a McM A5 and pillar bedded it. Nice stock. You may try Joel Russo for a laminate alternative if the weight doesn't bother you. He can inlet off the standard stock I understand.

You are right - no choices and expensive if you want aftermarket bits and pieces. The picatinny rail for example is from Near MFG - really great product - but I wasn't spoilt for choice there either.

I did nothing special to the action (didn't true anything), or trigger. The barrel is not the greatest - it fouls quickly and has a patch that then feels quite "tight", but despite that it's pretty much an honest 1/2 to 3/4 moa rifle. It's done a few in the 0.3's, but that's not a realistic reflection at all. I like it.

I haven't weighed it, but I think the action alone is pretty heavy - as is my finished rifle. If you are happy with that and the limited choices for stocks etc. I would be happy to do it all again.

I should have added that I'm not really a fan of the recoil lug set-up and would have preferred a "proper" lug between receiver and barrel. I didn't feel like pulling off the barrel to change it, so I left the "factory" system, but will likely change it if I rebarrel.

I do know some people screw on lugs. There was a post somewhere here a few years back. The search feature may help you out there (not sure if it stills goes that far back since the new site).

If WAMBO's big guns are working okay with the factory set-up I'm probably unnecessarily concerned about it - but I didn't like the idea.

Good luck with it.

Yes, McMillan will sell you the bottom metal that will allow you to use the factory magazine.
If you pm your email address I'll send you some pics if you would like them.
Wayne aka WAMBO

Here's mine:

DSC00035.jpg

StoneyPointStix.jpg

(pre-brake)

The original rifle was a 338LM (and is still a 338LM). I did the following to it:

- Added a McMillan A-5 stock with bottom metal provided by McMillan (at the time the bottom metal was $150)
- After market recoil lug added (GAP)
- Pillar Bedded (GAP)
- Bartlein barrel (10 twist)(GAP)
- DE Brake
- US Optics 20 MOA base (drilled and tapped for it)(GAP)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.