Weatherby Mk-V vs. Sako M995

hemiford

Hi All,

I need some basic schooling.

I know a bit about the Rem 700 long action.
I know a little about the Weatherby 9-lug, like .700 bolt diameter
and 1.062 tenon thread.
I don't know much at all about the big Sako. I vaguely recall reading
that the bolt is .800-in diameter & 3-lug, but not sure.

I'm interested in the large .585" cartridge Lapua/Weatherby actions.

Sako M995's are not all huge, I guess, you could get a 270-Win
M995, for example. I would want the big one.

Once I learn what is what, it could turn out that a custom action
might be money better spent.

Can anyone compare these two actions, maybe pros/cons ?

I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM and it's quite shooter. The action is very smooth and probably have one of the best factory trigger. The only thing I have done with it was a muzzle brake install yet it harvested an MT bull elk at 931 yards in 2013.

After market support is probably the main con(s), in particular the stock. It might have changed now but a few years ago, I considered changing the stock and below is my findings ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/mcmillan-stock-ouch-40620/

Having said that, when it is time to re-barrel, I'll more than likely consult with my smith for his suggestion.

Good luck!

At one time, the Sako's were on par with the Weatherbys. The latest trend with the Sako's has been to cut corners in some areas. (I don't know about all the actions/Models That Sako makes,just the ones I have seen lately).

I do know that the Weatherbys have not fell in to this trend and there current prices show this.

There newest Mark 5's have the same machine tolerances and quality as the older ones. The Mark 5 makes a perfect donor for Lapua sized cartridges and already has the correct extractor and center feed magazine if you buy the 378 based action. all that needs to be done to the Mark 5 is open the bolt face for the slightly larger Lapua and use the 378 extractor.

Stocks for the Sako are almost impossible to find and Sako will not build you one (I tried more than once to have a stock made but they refused). fortunately there are laminated and composite stocks available for the Weatherby and also aftermarket triggers.

I have always liked the Sako's and still own one of them, But in my opinion, the Weatherby is the better choice for a new build especially if using the large case head cartridges like the Lapua.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.