Safe buying and selling?

You have to call and talk to each other and here's the kicker…trust each other. Talk it over, work out the details, and follow through. I know it's crazy for people to actually talk to each other these days! I have a done a few deals on here and they all have went as planned. From what I can tell most of the guys/gals on here are more concerned about keeping their reputation intact than making a bad deal and compromising that. If your looking for guarantees buy new. Used guns are like used cars, there are no guarantees but sometimes if your careful you'll get a great deal. The FFL route is definitely the most careful but not always necessary.

How does one go about making sure the buyer and the seller are both safe for an online gun purchase?
How does the seller know that they're going to get the money (before they ship)?
How does the buyer know that they're going to get the rifle (before they send the money)?
Like everybody else, I prefer sticking with face to face. Sometimes I want something that just isn't available face to face.

Recently was going to drive from Minnesota to Long Island New York to do a face to face. New York is one of the states where the firearm has to be transferred by an FFL holder in the buyer's home state. For that reason the seller didn't want to risk his very-hard-to-get New York pistol permit as a consequence of what would have been an illegal face-to-face sale. (And I don't blame him!) The seller didn't want to ship and we parted on good terms. I then found that firearm on Gunbroker, did a buy-it-now via postal money order and everything worked out. The seller had a very high rating on Gunbroker so I took the chance.

Since then I bought another hard to find firearm via Guns International. GI does not have feedback ratings, instead GI has something called 'verified seller' status - meaning GI has vetted the seller to a certain extent. (I don't know how deep they dig.) I performed a lot of google searches on the seller's name and phone number that showed all the contact info was correct and the phone was a landline. Called the landline and talked with the seller for a half hour or more. Sent payment via cashier's check (a significant amount) and slept poorly until the firearm showed up with everything exactly as advertised.

In both of these cases I found examples of the firearms advertised that (for me anyway) just had too many red flags. Such as an impossibly low asking price, vague pictures, no inspection period, would only take venmo-type payment, etc.

YMMV

Videos are the best. I started sending vids moving my camera phone slowly over the gun and showing every side, and end to end, and highlighting any blems so there are no surprises when the gun arrives. Also shows condition before shipping. So if the carrier damages it the buyer is protected in a damage claim.

Only true for handguns and restricted blue states, such as California, New Jersey, etc.
Can you show me where it is written that I can take possession of a rifle ~7 states away? I'm serious. I have this situation, where I would like to take possession of a rifle and bring it home, but I believe it needs sent and then I transfer at the receiving FFL. I've asked a lot and always get this response. I don't have a federal attorney, so, I could be wrong. I've been going off the info below.

Can you show me where it is written that I can take possession of a rifle ~7 states away? I'm serious. I have this situation, where I would like to take possession of a rifle and bring it home, but I believe it needs sent and then I transfer at the receiving FFL. I've asked a lot and always get this response. I don't have a federal attorney, so, I could be wrong. I've been going off the info below.

I think there's some incomplete information in some of the above replies. I've dealt with this a couple of times.

All out of state transfers MUST go through an FFL, but there's two different situations for long guns and hand guns.

For Long Guns, a person from State A can travel to State B and take possession of the gun from an FFL in State B.

For Hand Guns (and some states, All Guns), a person from State A can purchase a gun in State B, but the gun must be shipped to an FFL in State A and transferred to the new owner in their own state of residence.

Person to Person sales are only legal between residents of the same state, with the exception of the few states who now require FFL transfers for all firearms (e.g WA, CA, et al.)

It can be a bit confusing, but the take home point is that an FFL transfer is DEFINITELY REQUIRED for any out of state purchase (excluding C&R, black powder, etc), the only question is whether you can do it in another state, or have to do it in your home state.

Years ago did the transfer thing With FFL Dealer. Now even that is a head ache and things can still go wrong. If the deal is close by I just do a face to face. If things don't seem right then oh well , out some gas. MD

I think there's some incomplete information in some of the above replies. I've dealt with this a couple of times.

All out of state transfers MUST go through an FFL, but there's two different situations for long guns and hand guns.

For Long Guns, a person from State A can travel to State B and take possession of the gun from an FFL in State B.

For Hand Guns (and some states, All Guns), a person from State A can purchase a gun in State B, but the gun must be shipped to an FFL in State A and transferred to the new owner in their own state of residence.

Person to Person sales are only legal between residents of the same state, with the exception of the few states who now require FFL transfers for all firearms (e.g WA, CA, et al.)

It can be a bit confusing, but the take home point is that an FFL transfer is DEFINITELY REQUIRED for any out of state purchase (excluding C&R, black powder, etc), the only question is whether you can do it in another state, or have to do it in your home state.
Found this link that maybe clarifies…

Use a credit card, preferably from a firearms friendly company. That will offer some protection. I had a horror story. I did everything right, except for the credit card. Seller had over 200 positive feedbacks and no negative. Seller took a ton of pics and answered all my questions. Gun NOT as advertised. He took lots of pics, but NOT of the three major problems. I used a US Postal Money Order. He refused a refund and taking the gun back. I protested on the Forum. I was ruled against, supposedly because my pics supporting my issue were not good enough. Yet you could easily see the defects. I provided the moderator with all the pics and conversations. I was also told the seller must be trustworthy due to his feedback. I was told a gun that old would have some cosmetic issues, even though the seller said there were none. The Postal service would do nothing. I spent $800 plus shipping and dealer FFL fee. I was lucky to get $300 for the fun. I can't afford to lose money like that. My FFL watched me open the gun box and inspect the gun. Neither FFL would do anything. I now think the moderator was friends with the seller. The forum in question has AR15 in it's name. Had I used a credit card, I would have my money back. Face to face is still best. I often meet in the police department parking lot. LOTS of cameras there. Good luck.