buying new rifle

tc

looking at buying a Rem 700 cdl, 7mm/7mm ultra mag or 300 win mag. Used for deer,big game, ground hogs, but do not want to develop a "flinch" any advice.....

What kind of deer, and what are the realistic distances? What do you mean by big game?

TC

If you are worried about flinch then forget the ultra mags. Stay with something that will allow the lighter bullets but can go up to the 168/180 range LR knockdown.

Look at the 7WSM. One just shot a 6 " and 4" 5 shot group in "Factory Class" in NC last week. Does not get any better than that and recoil will not kill you.

BH

TC

If you are worried about flinch then forget the ultra mags. Stay with something that will allow the lighter bullets but can go up to the 168/180 range LR knockdown.

Look at the 7WSM. One just shot a 6 " and 4" 5 shot group in "Factory Class" in NC last week. Does not get any better than that and recoil will not kill you.

BH

TC

BH

Thanks for the replies. By big game I ment, caribou, elk, moose,etc..., and the type of deer I was refering to was white tail.

At this time I'm leaning towards the 7mm mag, nice flat shooter with plenty of variations in load

270 Win or 270 WSM/7mmWSM are plenty for elk. Can't comment on moose, never killed one.

Load it up with a stout bullet (barnes x, partition, or a-frame) and go to it.

Nothing at all wrong with the 7mm Rem Magnum as an all around rifle.

If you're concerned about recoil, I would not go bigger than that, or one of the short mags. Far better to put a 150 gr 270 in the ribs than a 180 300 Ultra in the leg.

was also thinking about the leupold viii 4.5-14 scope over the 3-9x40, a little pricier but why chince on quality optics

Can only comment on the 7mmRM.
My Dad and I took two Moose with the same rifle in the same year. Both 250+ yds.

Not sure what you would need the 'ultra' for.

I would recommend a 7mm SAUM SS BDL with a muzzle break. (Replace the stock.) Almost no recoil at all. It is very light and with the 24 in barrel very easy to handle. Mine shoots 168 MK very well at around 2900 fps. Would be similar to a 7mm RM but in a short action. Very fun to shoot.

7mm RUM are also great, but more to handle.

I'm looking at buying the new remington 700 vsf. (spring 2005 remington sight) I will be using the rifle for benchrest,varmint, and deer hunting. I chose the 308win. Do yall think this is a good choice. I am a remingto man and would like to keep it that way because they are made int the USA. The tikka t3 varmint stainless also caught my attention but its not made in the US and it doesn't have the reputation that the 700 has. I will also be customizing the rifle over time so take that into consideration also. Thanks. In God I trust!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.