Gun Safe

tjbill

Hello All,
I am looking to get a fireproof gun safe. Time to grow up, can't use Dad's forever! I am particularly interested in brand more than size. I will probably get one in the 10/20 or 12/24 category. Has anyone dealt with Patriot safes? Thanks in advance for the help and have a great day!
Bill

I believe that size is very important, you have to remember that scoped rifles - particularly rifles with large scopes - take up almost two spaces. Your ten gun model will not hold ten scoped rifles. Brand is important because that determines $ - shop around, there are numerous makes and models and some are definitely more reasonably priced than others. Also watch for scratch and dent sales, contact the factories or major distributors and ask if they have any safes on special.
When you install the safe to move it into place on flat floors just cut some pieces of 3/4" inside diameter or so pvc pipe the same width as your safe. Tip the safe back and slip two or three pvc pipes under it, the safe will roll along with ease. Just keep moving the pipes forward as they roll out from under the safe. Could probably use wooden dowels, I know pvc pipe works super.

I shopped all over the net and my best deal was right here at home, saved 800 bucks on the safe and the dealer installed it where I needed it. talk to a local dealer, most of the manufactures adhere to the standard fireproofing ratings, metal thickness, door thickness and #/size of locking lugs and use the quality S&G locks so they are about equal.
RR

Rule No. 1 : Buy at least Twice the size you think you need. Rule No. 2 : See Rule No. 1 ....... And never , ever , believe the stated size unless all your guns are the size of Daisy BB Guns ! With big Scopes , long Barrels , and big stocks , maybe you can get in 1/2 or a bit more of the "rated" capacity . If you are not real strong and handy , I would second the recommendation to use a local guy . Some have hydraulic Walkers where one guy can haul around a Ton of safe . Of course , my one guy is 6'8" and weighs 375 lbs ( no kidding ) . Safes are really built to keep the rif/raf out and make them give up . The serious Pro would have not much of a problem with one . I've talked to some big Dealers , and you would be floored by some of the techniques used by Pros . Bolt it to the Floor and make the sides and top as inaccessable as possible . Lastly , don't go showing what you have to anyone you don't know real well.

just curious, I don't plan on breaking into anything, but was wondering how the heck people get into these things short of a cutting torch???

lovdasnow,

I used to build gun safes in Eugene, OR. I won't give out too much info in a public forum, but I will tell you that as the manufacturer, we had a location on the rear panel that could be drilled & a plug of the flame retardant could be removed; it then required a special tee-handle wrench to be pushed through to access a lock release on the inside panel of the door. Bad news was if you had something in the path of the wrench, it was a problem, also the integrity of the fire resistance and security was permanently compromised. Still it was better than cutting the safe, even though you had to order the kit & instructions from the company.
Dave

interesting...I'm currently looking for a good safe, and shipping is a killer. would you reccomend the safe company you worked for, and if so who was it? do they have a website?

I have a friend that bought one out of eugene, and am thinking it's probably the same company.

thanks

Check out Fort Knox. The are UL listed for fire and have a model and size (almost) for every budget. I bought a 1900 pound Titan and it had free freight and installation. The dealer said he would move it for no charge if I ever move. No chance. If I ever move I'm getting a non-catologed custom built. It didn't take long to outgrow my 72"x41".

been looking at the fort knox safes. thanks for the info, thats good to hear.

did you go through a local dealer? and any recommendations after outgrowing your safe? are there options you wish you would have gotten.

I want the keypad, and other than that I don't really know.

thanks

I bought the Freedom Safe by Liberty it is a 12/24 it cost 900.00 at Orschelin Farm and Home it is rated at 1250deg. for 45 min. my only regret is not buying a bigger safe.

Easton19 , here's a Merry Christmas Tip . Want to put more guns in your Safe ??? It won't look nice and you will have to make an ID Map for yourself . Rip out ALL the row racks . Put the guns in soft but reasonably thick soft cases .....and PACK them in . Make a map of what is where . Happy cramming ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a Liberty Safe with the S&G lock and fireproof.
The thought of rolling 700 lbs of safe across the oak floor prompted me to have a professional do it. I hired a local mover to move if from the garage into the house. The $80.00 cost was well worth it.

JD338

Fort Knox has a dealer locater on their page. They are class acts. Give them a call. You will be surprised how easy they are to deal with. I haven't outgrown mine but a lot of other valubles seem to find their way in there. The only thing I didn't get that I wish I did was the lighting package that comes on when you open the door. I love the electronic lock. I can have that door open in 5 seconds if I want to.

FortKnox.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.