SAAMI - TECHNICAL DATA SHEET - UNSAFE FIREARM-AMMUNITION COMBINATIONS

Muddyboots

There has been a few threads recently on using wrong cartridge ammo in wrong rifle and how surreal I get an EMAIL from Hodgdon today referencing this very same concern and link to SAAMI for this document. Since I thought it was a good reference to share based upon the whoops shared, here it is.

Attachments

• Unsafe-Arms-and-Ammunition-Combinations-Web-Site-and-Brochure-Master-Revised-8-24-2020.pdf
    231.4 KB · Views: 688
There has been a few threads recently on using wrong cartridge ammo in wrong rifle and how surreal I get an EMAIL from Hodgdon today referencing this very same concern and link to SAAMI for this document. Since I thought it was a good reference to share based upon the whoops shared, here it is.
I got it today as well

Would not be surprised due to lack of ammo and components there has been "accidents" that Hodgdon is aware of and as part of their corporate social responsibility decided to send something out to forewarn to hopefully prevent similar occurrences. I bet they see far more information than any of us would from industry trade news and other platforms they subscribe to including their own legal department.

Just read through the list. I don't mean to sound stupid...BUT...the one that has me scratching my head right now is under 9mm luger it says NOT to use 9mm NATO. To my knowledge this is the same round. Now maybe the NATO is more along a +P or something and I know not all are rated for that but can someone please explain this one to me.

The 9MM NATO is a higher pressure round is best I can tell. Probably due to the older Lugers cannot take the added pressure. Just my SWAG at it.
I have a Springfield 1911 EMP 9MM that I carry a lot. 9MM NATO overides the mag catch and the slide will not lock back on the last round. Normal behavior for a 1911 with too light a recoil spring, so I would not shoot it much in a 9MM luger gun of any brand with a factory spring. It is higher pressure. JME Secondly, I also wouldn't even think of shooting it in a gun without a fully supported chamber, no matter what kind of spring you have. In the first instance you have excessive wear. The second could remove body parts (your own BTW).

Last edited:
I wanna know the flat billed wearing man bun millennial that tried to shoot a .357 Mag out of his 6.5 Creed...

I'm Dead

Baby laghing.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.