HSM gold unsafe pressure issues

roadhunter

I recently bought a box of factory HSM Gold in 7mm STW from Cabelas to try in my factrory Remington 700 SPS. The HSM ammo is the 168gr Berger with an advertised velocity of 3205fps.

I went out to the range this morning to shoot a couple groups and run them through the Chrono. The first round I fired from a clean barrel registered 3183 fps but got stuck in the chamber and I had to pound the bolt open to get it out. Looking at the brass it had a major ejector mark and cratered/flattened primer. Knowing the pressure was obviously way too high (like an idiot) I decided to try one more.

Holy crap......second round registered 3318 fps and would not come out of the chamber. I pounded on the bolt again and the extractor popped off the case head leaving the empty case stuck in the chamber. After letting it cool down I was finally able to get it out. Looking at the case head it had the same signs of pressure plus a little carbon ring around the primer. I was definately not going to shoot another one.

Has anyone else had any issues with HSM ammo? I plan on contacting them on Tuesday.

Thanks,

Doug

Before I started reloading, I used them without any problems. Contact HSM at ...

Mailing Address

The Hunting Shack, Inc.
4406 Rathbun Lane
Stevensville, MT 59870
USA

Phone/Fax Numbers

Local: (406) 777-2106
Toll Free: (800) 856-2857
Fax: (406) 777-3908

Email Addresses

Orders: orders[at]thehuntingshack.com
Technical Support, Importing and Exporting: mail[at]thehuntingshack.com

... and address your concern.

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.