HSM Trophy Gold Bergers?

sh300mag

has anyone tested the HSM Trophy golds loadad with the berger vld boattails? I'm having a rough time getting a decent group at 100yrds at the range on a leadsled?

I thought about trying them in my 308, but then i read an article on this site that said the vld's can be a bit finicky about how how deep they are seated in relation to the lands so i figured i would save the vld's for if i ever start reloading.

I heard that as well i know it's not my shooting i"m almost starting to question my set up but i can miss consistantly lol

here's the article "
vld-bullets-accuracy-sq.jpg
Optimizing Precision And Accuracy From VLD Bullets"

Informative article however since i don't currently reload I'm wondering if anyone has something to say about the HSM ammo. Our local gun shop didnt have the rail or base for my action exactally so I modified the rear base to fit however the I'm doubting my work as well as the ammo because I shoot the fed barnes triple shocks just fine. I added a seal of glue around the bases so at least I can see if the move at all. The feel tight but I still have my doubts> I really need to get better bases but until I can find them i'm stuck with this

Yes I have tested them in a 6.5x284 and they shot 1.5moa out of a .25moa gun. They are junk in my opinion. I pulled a bullet to look at them and they crimped them so hard when they loaded them, they actually cut the jacket on the bullets. I would never waste my money on them again. I also tested the HSM 175 SMK's in a 308 as well and I will say those shot little bugholes. I know in the 6.5 it wasn't the gun because our handloads constistantly shot less than .5 MOA and most of the time just a smidge over .250.

I purchased a box for my 264 Winchester Magnum and they shoot pretty tight groups but velocity sucked. I Chrony them at 2,760 fps, so I was really disappointed. I'm currently working up a load using both Retumbo and US869

I put a box through my .25-06. 1.5-2 moa groups. Hornady Custom with 117gr SST would shoot 1 moa. Now I reload with the same Berger VLDs and also Nosler Ballistic Tips and they'll shoot sub-moa all day. I'm a firm believer if you are wanting better than 1 moa of accuracy you should save your pennies and start reloading. Otherwise a person is going to have to try a variety of factory ammo to see what their rifle likes best. And at that rate I wouldn't expect much better than 1moa.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.