Rule of Thumb for Shooting Down Hill

1637012389915.png

I still have my log book. It has a few battle scars. Things change drastically on the other side of the equator.

1637012710133.jpeg

I'm handing out some pretty good info for those of you who want to use it. I have used this on Charlie's out to just shy of 2800 yards.

No it's not. We learn hard dope then software. We use kestrels and actual drop. Forms similar to this haven't been used in a few decades. Even the TDS recon was a thing prior to the kestrels.

There is a time and place to sweat the small stuff. This is exactly more oriented to toward ordnance.
LoL!!!

No it's not. We learn hard dope then software. We use kestrels and actual drop. Forms similar to this haven't been used in a few decades. Even the TDS recon was a thing prior to the kestrels.

There is a time and place to sweat the small stuff. This is exactly more oriented to toward ordnance.
Actually forms like this are still used and taught. They are a very good back up for when your whiz-bang wonder tool goes down or you have no new batteries. When you are limited to a large ruck and what you can carry you carry what works and is light. Forms don't need batteries.

I still have my log book. It has a few battle scars. Things change drastically on the other side of the equator.
Yes they do. Thank you for your service.
View attachment 311917
I'm handing out some pretty good info for those of you who want to use it. I have used this on Charlie's out to just shy of 2800 yards.
And this doesn't require batteries, either. Did you get it from the artillery, mortar or sniper manual? Maybe the Ranger Handbook? My sniper manual is with my son in law at Fort Benning right now. What was your MOS? Mine was 11B/11M. I was an armorer at Scofield, a marksmanship trainer at Schofield Barracks, Fort Carson and Ft. Riley, and a sniper in Desert Storm and on the DMZ in Korea for the 2nd ID.

Actually forms like this are still used and taught. They are a very good back up for when your whiz-bang wonder tool goes down or you have no new batteries. When you are limited to a large ruck and what you can carry you carry what works and is light. Forms don't need batteries.
Forms "like this" are dope cards. From hard data. Yes there is a basics of dope taught, but it's not on that form, and you're barking up the wrong tree my dude. I've "rucked," driven, sailed and jumped into over 15 years of war. That's not including training, and bs orders. A long part of which was done as a sniper. My optempo is higher than Jody's on your woman.

Now I'm telling you, no one in the military is learning some **** that rexreviews put out on YouTube. Who is a pog like you probably were.

For operational purposes, most people are using some software. Iron sights don't need batteries…yet eotech and aimpoint is a common optic. The aimpoint is issued to like…the whole army.

Daggers run on batteries if not hooked up to a vehicle. Were you too high speed to use nods? I remember mine taking batteries…how about a peq? No? No 123s? You do anything with demolition? Did you blaster not take batteries? 5s and 25s with a vallon? Still takes batteries…if you were a sniper you didn't use a form of the pvs 27???? Which uses…you guessed it…batteries.

I can go on…you battery argument is straight stupid.

Last edited:
All I can say is I know more than one way to skin a cat. LoL. I remember the first time I was given a Trimble Nomad that had firming solutions in it. It was ok. I was all ways correcting mine putting in verified data. We would share our data with other U.S. soldiers to give us a stronger offense. We have come a long way Sense then. We would get together in a location and verify our firing solutions and share our info with one another. I don't ever remember using a Kestrel in the military. Electronics all way fail so I didn't rely on them much. I think it was a hard adjustment for most of us. I remember a little about ENIAC and how it come about. The USAMU talked about it to us and where it came from and how it came about. I'm rusty on it.

Forms "like this" are dope cards. From hard data. Yes there is a basics of dope taught, but it's not on that form, and you're barking up the wrong tree my dude. I've "rucked," driven, sailed and jumped into over 15 years of war. That's not including training, and bs orders. A long part of which was done as a sniper. My optempo is higher than Jody's on your woman.

Now I'm telling you, no one in the military is learning some **** that rexreviews put out on YouTube. Who is a pog like you probably were.

For operational purposes, most people are using some software. Iron sights don't need batteries…yet eotech and aimpoint is a common optic. The aimpoint is issued to like…the whole army.

Daggers run on batteries if not hooked up to a vehicle. Were you too high speed to use nods? I remember mine taking batteries…how about a peq? No? No 123s? You do anything with demolition? Did you blaster not take batteries? 5s and 25s with a vallon? Still takes batteries…if you were a sniper you didn't use a form of the pvs 27???? Which uses…you guessed it…batteries.

I can go on…you battery argument is straight stupid.
Yes, I used nods. Yes, I used radios, yes I used numerous other items that required batteries. When I was in Bradleys, I had a 30 ton vehicle to carry them, so I loved them. When I had to carry them on my back in the desert, I begrudged every ounce that they weighed. Yes, I learned how to do without them and so did my men. I spent 20 years in the Infantry, and was in various war zones. My youngest brother was in for 17 and most with the green beanies. No kidding they use batteries. What do about three singars batteries weigh? You have to have them, don't you. But if you have to hump them, something else has to go. The Army has a great supply chain. It works really well. As to the rexreviews on Youtube, haven't seen it. Don't know it, don't care about it. Yes I know that they use Acogs and Eotech sights. I've used them. Batteries fail. Just a fact. But that wasn't what this was about, and getting into an argument with you about what the Army uses currently VS what it used earlier is worse than unproductive. I don't care what you use. I don't care what your experience is, and I don't care whether you think the information that Stegrave260 posted is useful or not. I don't care. You can get on your soapbox or not. That's not what this thread is about. It was a pretty simple question by the guy who started it about shooting at a moderate distance on a slope, not about what one could use or find or buy to do all that stuff, most of which is really good equipment, by the way. Like the 9mil rig and the Acog in the first picture, by the way. Good pictures of Afghanistan. Looks like the MRap caught an IED. I spent two and a half years there from 2011 to 2014. Not fun at all. I repaired the MRAP's in Iraq for about a year, too, before they closed the FOB's I was on. I was contracting then. Glad you made it back, hope you made it back whole, and thank you for your service, and all that you did.

The bullet is traveling 500 yards; the time of flight is longer than if it was traveling 400. However, the gravity vector is lower than if it was 500 yards over a horizontal distance, so you do hit lower at 500 firing uphill/downhill, but if you hold for the horizontal drop at 400, you will hit low.
So why did the armies of the old days always try to obtain the higher ground? You are the one that is wrong here.

Yes they do. Thank you for your service.

And this doesn't require batteries, either. Did you get it from the artillery, mortar or sniper manual? Maybe the Ranger Handbook? My sniper manual is with my son in law at Fort Benning right now. What was your MOS? Mine was 11B/11M. I was an armorer at Scofield, a marksmanship trainer at Schofield Barracks, Fort Carson and Ft. Riley, and a sniper in Desert Storm and on the DMZ in Korea for the 2nd ID.
My MOS's were 12B/11B and 12N I had to have at least 2 MOS's to be Eligible for any kinda of special Training. I don't know if that hold true today. I was stationed at Fort Benning. I was pushed by my CO to join the DMU in 1993 and was thankful for the training I was giving when I got deployed to Somalia. I never became a sniper. I did however get assigned to a MCSS once in Afghanistan until some one could relieve me. I know different branches give each other heck in the civilian life. That's a different story out in the field. We have each other back no mater what. We are all on the same team. I never asked why I got sent out with a Marine sniper. I knew in my heart why. I could never take his brothers place. I wanted to honor him by not letting the Marine down. Enough about that Please. Thank you all who have served.

Have you actually tested what you are saying? If not, you should actually shoot this and confirm what you are saying is in fact INACCURATE.

Gravity only affects straight/horizontal line distance. Up hill/Down hill makes no difference.
Have any of you taken a physics class? In actuality, in normal hunting ranges and slopes, the effect of up/down hill is pretty minimal. Overall range has a much larger effect; not to mention wind, etc.

Yes, I used nods. Yes, I used radios, yes I used numerous other items that required batteries. When I was in Bradleys, I had a 30 ton vehicle to carry them, so I loved them. When I had to carry them on my back in the desert, I begrudged every ounce that they weighed. Yes, I learned how to do without them and so did my men. I spent 20 years in the Infantry, and was in various war zones. My youngest brother was in for 17 and most with the green beanies. No kidding they use batteries. What do about three singars batteries weigh? You have to have them, don't you. But if you have to hump them, something else has to go. The Army has a great supply chain. It works really well. As to the rexreviews on Youtube, haven't seen it. Don't know it, don't care about it. Yes I know that they use Acogs and Eotech sights. I've used them. Batteries fail. Just a fact. But that wasn't what this was about, and getting into an argument with you about what the Army uses currently VS what it used earlier is worse than unproductive. I don't care what you use. I don't care what your experience is, and I don't care whether you think the information that Stegrave260 posted is useful or not. I don't care. You can get on your soapbox or not. That's not what this thread is about. It was a pretty simple question by the guy who started it about shooting at a moderate distance on a slope, not about what one could use or find or buy to do all that stuff, most of which is really good equipment, by the way. Like the 9mil rig and the Acog in the first picture, by the way. Good pictures of Afghanistan. Looks like the MRap caught an IED. I spent two and a half years there from 2011 to 2014. Not fun at all. I repaired the MRAP's in Iraq for about a year, too, before they closed the FOB's I was on. I was contracting then. Glad you made it back, hope you made it back whole, and thank you for your service, and all that you did.

If you don't care, then why did you bring it up?

It's not about useful, it's about being true. But you don't care, so there's that.