Rule of Thumb for Shooting Down Hill

All I can say is I know more than one way to skin a cat. LoL. I remember the first time I was given a Trimble Nomad that had firming solutions in it. It was ok. I was all ways correcting mine putting in verified data. We would share our data with other U.S. soldiers to give us a stronger offense. We have come a long way Sense then. We would get together in a location and verify our firing solutions and share our info with one another. I don't ever remember using a Kestrel in the military. Electronics all way fail so I didn't rely on them much. I think it was a hard adjustment for most of us. I remember a little about ENIAC and how it come about. The USAMU talked about it to us and where it came from and how it came about. I'm rusty on it.
Yep, anything to get an edge. I used whatever I could back when I was doing the job. And yes, I know that's an artillery data card, not a sniper's dope card. But it is still a good illustration of what goes into a 1.500 to 2,000 yard to me. I just don't have to make shots like that, so I don't worry about it. My son in law is currently stationed at Fort Benning, so I do get to talk to some of the teachers at the Master Gunner and Sniper schools when I'm there, though. They've got some neat stuff for the really long shots. I worked at range control at Carson for about three years, and worked with 10th group when they were practicing with the new 300 WinMag's too. They shot on the MG range out to about 1500 yards with the Federal Gold Medal Match loads and I got some of the brass. It was seriously heavily loaded, and took two passes through a full length resizer to make it usable. The primer pockets were still tight, though. He has my old sniper manual sitting in his garage on the freezer.

Last edited:
Uh hello mountain hunter here Shot all kinds of critters in steep mountains In ol days it was ACI for me My money was in a Terrapin that just ranged What the cost you don't want that type investment to often Run a Sig now complete solution Steep up or DOWN if it same angle at same distance=same dope

Attachments

• 313C495F-DD44-475D-8ED1-DA62607257C3.jpeg
    313C495F-DD44-475D-8ED1-DA62607257C3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • 00391BE4-F103-43DA-8901-18B49D318CF5.jpeg
    00391BE4-F103-43DA-8901-18B49D318CF5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Uh hello mountain hunter here Shot all kinds of critters in steep mountains In ol days it was ACI for me My money was in a Terrapin that just ranged What the cost you don't want that type investment to often Run a Sig now complete solution Steep up or DOWN if it same angle at same distance=same dope
Nice rig, nice rifle. you look about as old as I am, and I'm getting ancient. Where are you in those pictures?

58 and working on 150 mtn miles so far,at about 6400'.Use to be the land of giant mule deer,MT

Yes we dont have height like CO,I ski raced there in my youth.Aspen friend was on Pro patrol

Custom,Defiance action out of MT,Proof barrel carbon,Lonewolf stock(now Proof) built 11 years ago 7-2oz bare,taken around 20 + animals,moose,elk,bear,deer,speed goat.I mostly hunt one rifle,have another 338nm too.

Custom,Defiance action out of MT,Proof barrel carbon,Lonewolf stock(now Proof) built 11 years ago 7-2oz bare,taken around 20 + animals,moose,elk,bear,deer,speed goat.I mostly hunt one rifle,have another 338nm too.
I shoot mostly factory rifles which a gunsmith I know has done some accuracy work on. I mostly hunt with two .35 Whelens and either 250 grain Speer or 225 grain Sierra projectiles. Both rifles are grouping less than an inch at 100 yards, and both have Shepherd P2 scopes mounted on them. I do use both the 300 win mag and the 30-06 for hunting, again in two rifles in each caliber, with bullets ranging from 165 grain to 200 grain, mostly Nosler, Speer and Sierra. They also have Shepherds mounted on them. I really like Shepherd scopes. I still have my original Shootist Shepherd scope from 1985 that I had mounted on an HK91 when I was stationed at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, in the 1st of the 21st. It got about 1 1/4" groups with 173 grain NM ammunition and was good for about 800 yards (or 730 meters or so) with minute of bad guy accuracy. It suffered some from the heavy trigger and light 18.5 inch barrel, but we were light infantry and didn't have a sniper slot or the rifle to go with it. My first sergeant had me test the rifle and scope combination so if we had to go anywhere we had a rifle with more reach than an M16A1, which was the issue weapon at the time. The scope was refurbished in 2007 or 8 by Shepherd and I haven't had it on a rifle since. I thought I'd edit a little to make clear what was being talked about. I still have both the scope and the rifle.

Last edited: