Shooting positions- Side of a Hill

megastink

I have a spot I hunt that requires me to set-up on the slope of a big hill. The hill overlooks a swamp that the deer cross to escape other hunters (see photo). I can't set up on top: too many obstructions.

The furthest shot I have is around 325. I never feel comfortable or steady while shooting on this slope. It's probably around 50-55* I'm guessing. What positions should I practice in so that I'll be comfortable taking shots at my max distance?
B06AEAF5-110D-4EB6-B6EB-F25B6804E943.jpeg

Take a look at a bipod used for the sitting position. I practice up hill and downhill in the sitting position. 55 degrees is really steep maybe spend some time in the off season and do a little landscaping.

I have a spot I hunt that requires me to set-up on the slope of a big hill. The hill overlooks a swamp that the deer cross to escape other hunters (see photo). I can't set up on top: too many obstructions.

The furthest shot I have is around 325. I never feel comfortable or steady while shooting on this slope. It's probably around 50-55* I'm guessing. What positions should I practice in so that I'll be comfortable taking shots at my max distance?
View attachment 120919

A good set of shooting sticks! memtb

Get a nice tripod and pig or hog saddle. I got one this year and it is perfect for exactly what you are talking about. I was in that same situation and this works great. Plus it's very fast to swap out and clamp you bios in for some scanning. I am shocked at how much more I am able to spot when set up this way. I feel comfortable out to about 400 with this setup and I have very little to no practice with it. It was my first run last week but works great.

Shooting angles don't get much steeper then this. A crazy front rooftop stage at a PRS match a few years ago. My bipod worked out quite well shooting 300/500 yard 10" steel. IMO, the key on slopes is to get a solid rear support and a good bite on the legs of the bipod. As mentioned by others, a tripod/saddle with adjustable 90 degree legs can also work well on slopes. After setting the height on the two forward legs, brace against the slope with the 90 degree third rear leg rearward.
ED7E9423-8D33-4B09-B1F0-ECD9C018D5EE.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.