Shooting positions- Side of a Hill

I have a spot I hunt that requires me to set-up on the slope of a big hill. The hill overlooks a swamp that the deer cross to escape other hunters (see photo). I can't set up on top: too many obstructions.

The furthest shot I have is around 325. I never feel comfortable or steady while shooting on this slope. It's probably around 50-55* I'm guessing. What positions should I practice in so that I'll be comfortable taking shots at my max distance?
View attachment 120919
We use, the Hunters Specialties "Sticks" with, a Pack on our Chest supporting, the "Toe" of our Rifles, pushed up FIRMLY with, one foot in sitting position. We can hit an 11" dia Plate, 5 out of 5 times at, 375 / 400 Yards with, an UN-braked .270 WSM and my Son's 7mm-08, does the same thing. We go Prone over the Pack's at,..past 400 Yards with, a Holland "Toe" Field Bag. Both of us, shot Bull Elk,.. sitting over "Sticks" this, fall,.. try it !

You guys might want, to watch, Top Priority Hunting's video, on YouTube called, the start of something new ! Talk about, "too much", Gun, Scope & Bipod, his equip. was all, "crap" ( WRONG) for the Hunt that, they were on !! Gimmee a .270, .280 or,.30-06 Rifle, with a 3x9 scope, NO bipod and some shooting STIX ! They would have been, much,..BETTER off, than using the "rig' he was toting ! Poor kid ! You will want, to CRY in frustration at watching this one, as it's "Real Life",.. Hunting !

Last edited:
I used this from Nightgoggles.com with a hog saddle for a 570 yard shot on a 340 bull.
I also switched to a turkey hunting vest for an awesome seat to glass and shoot.
20181015_155848.jpg

He was having, a hard time getting "set up" with, the bi-pod off that Rock, huh ?
EVERYONE, should watch that, Video !

Seems we're making this more complicated than necessary. My sticks are made of 1/2" solid fiberglass, 48" long, with rubber "booties" with a brass pin ( traction on the hard stuff). It would be a pretty steep downhill, for these sticks to be too short. They are also fairly lightweight, flex little, and can serve as a hacking pole, when navigating deadfall, slick hillsides, etc. you can be set-up and shooting in less than 10 seconds....they ain't a bench rest, but pretty darn close! memtb

Shooting angles don't get much steeper then this. A crazy front rooftop stage at a PRS match a few years ago. My bipod worked out quite well shooting 300/500 yard 10" steel. IMO, the key on slopes is to get a solid rear support and a good bite on the legs of the bipod. As mentioned by others, a tripod/saddle with adjustable 90 degree legs can also work well on slopes. After setting the height on the two forward legs, brace against the slope with the 90 degree third rear leg rearward.
View attachment 121031
Well my OP is a little different than yours. Id level up that spot and make up a small bench I could kneel next to, and leave in the bushes close by. lol

I have a spot I hunt that requires me to set-up on the slope of a big hill. The hill overlooks a swamp that the deer cross to escape other hunters (see photo). I can't set up on top: too many obstructions.

The furthest shot I have is around 325. I never feel comfortable or steady while shooting on this slope. It's probably around 50-55* I'm guessing. What positions should I practice in so that I'll be comfortable taking shots at my max distance?
View attachment 120919
This is very common in the steep mountains of the west where I live. I killed the bull in my avatar this year in Wyoming sitting on a steep side hill just as you describe at 630 yards. Put 2 bullets 4 inches apart as quick as I could rack the bolt and reacquire sight picture. I practice from this and other mountain positions throughout the year.

Get a good set of shooting sticks. I use the Primos Steady Stix. You deploy you shooting sticks on the downhill side and use your pack on the uphill side under your arm for your rear support. This will allow you a rock solid shooting position. You can adjust your body for the angle to allow for more ground contact if needed. Here's a pic of me sitting in the spot I killed the bull from . Unfortunately I didn't get one in shooting position but you can see the steepness of the hillside. I had to set my gun facing straight uphill to keep it from falling over. Also a closeup of the hits on my bull. The bigger hole is the first shot exit. 4 inches to the left is the second shot entrance. After the first shot the bull spun 180 degrees and ran 50 feet. IMG_20181027_162229.jpg IMG_20181027_174543.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.