Shooting positions on a downhill

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by deserthunter86, Oct 12, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. skipglo

skipglo Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Great response and pic! After rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders prone is no longer possible for me and I started shooting like this 4 years ago. It's a great way to go! I have also gone to a bipod with 27" of extension.

Bubba Q likes this.
  2. freddiej

freddiej Well-Known Member

I use two sets of steadying devices.. first is my sitting bipod that has lots of adjustment in it. the second is my backpack. how I determine which to use is how far down the hill on the other side the game is in relation to me. I would prefer to use a prone position shot rather than sitting. I have a vertebrae that sometimes pinches a nerve and my arm flings up about 2" and I am normally just depressing the trigger when that nerve fires and I miss extremely low and to the left. I have never been able to shoot with sticks so I have never using them extensively. i have tried them out but could never get them to be as steady as my bipod.

3. 7magcreedmoor

7magcreedmoor Well-Known Member

I use trekking poles on my mountain hunts, and they make great shooting sticks when needed. Totally adjustable length for just about any height required. I have found that I can make my sitting position more solid by attaching my rifle sling to my belt (a carabiner is real handy for this) and putting tension from the front of the rifle back to my torso. With my pack standing up for a rear rest, it is almost like shooting from a bench. I practice this position at the range often.

4. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

Some of the areas where we hunt for coues deer the hillsides are too step for any kind of prone. We use two leg collapsible shooting sticks just like Greyfox mentioned. They work great from a sitting position. These also work great for off hand shots for desert mulies where the cactus wont let you go prone.

deserthunter86 likes this.
  5. mnoland30

mnoland30 Well-Known Member

In 50 years of hunting, I think I've made about 3 prone shots. Usually too much grass. I loved my bipod, but it was too short for steep terrain. I extended mine with arrow shafts, and it was still too short. I switched to sticks, and will never go back. They are much more versatile. I sit with my right leg at a 90 degree angle to the rifle, and rest the butt of the rifle on my knee. You have to be limber. I can shoot almost as well off of the sticks as the bench.

memtb likes this.
  6. deserthunter86

deserthunter86 Member

this is the exact situation I am in. Too steep for anything but a seated shot.

I appreciate the feedback so far and have been trying to work it into my practice

7. window licker

window licker Well-Known Member

You may want to look at the triple pull ckye-pod. I primarily coyote hunt, and the position you are talking about is what I shoot from 85% of the time. I have used the Harris 25 and it's a bit short unless you get the riflestix extensions. The ckye-pod extends to I believe 36-40". Either way, it will extend tall enough that you will slide down the side hill before you run out of Bi-pod.

8. deserthunter86

deserthunter86 Member

I like that option a lot but it looks like 500, plus a set of extensions right. From what I saw, the attachments screw on? Not a big deal but I think total cost was around 750?

9. window licker

window licker Well-Known Member

Nothing really "screws on" these bi-pods. There is a bolt that attaches the legs to the head if that is what you mean. Like I said, these have the length. But, they also tilt, and pan. The most adaptable Bi-pod I have used. 20190719_093521.jpg 20190719_093445.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. deserthunter86

deserthunter86 Member

Thanks!

would you happen to have a link I’m not finding that particular set

11. SeboCreek

SeboCreek Well-Known Member

Got into this late, but just had this problem. My guide and I kept going high looking for prone shot or brace. Finally gave up with feet way down the hill below me. Finally managed a brace off a knee. At 68 not limber enough to get anything better. As someone always says, I had hunters luck and able to drop elk at a little over 580 yards. Would have been a little easier if hadn’t left sticks behind. That won’t happen again.

memtb likes this.