Ruger Precision-What scope and rings?

I am about to buy a Ruger Precision 3.08, but I am new to the long range shooting game and I wanting to know what I should purchase for rings and a scope? I want to do it right the first go around, let me know if there is anything else I am missing......

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
What is the intended use of your RPR? Target shooting? Hunting? A mix? What is your budget?

I'm a NF guy. They are durable and hold up to all of the abuse I give them.

I've got a RPR in 6.5 CM for punching steel targets and paper and one in .308. For the 6.5, I mounted a NF Benchrest 12-42x56 using the 30mm medium NF rings. I've very pleased with the combo. For my .308, I've purchased a NF SHV 5-20x56 for hunting.

If you plan on hunting, I would avoid the benchrest scopes. They have small cross hairs and I would question their durability if you intend to haul them through the woods in search of game. For benchrest shooting, they are awesome.

The NF NXS line has several fine scopes that would well for you. I prefer the MOAR reticle, but feel free to make your own choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.