What rings and base

jammer300

I received a early Christmas gift today in the form of a new rifle scope. It's a Vortex viper 6.5 - 20x44mm PA with the Dead Hold BDC reticle. Looks like it is going to be a nice fit for my 300 win mag. I was wanting to shoot out to 1000 yards with this set up and now I'm am looking for suggestions on what base and rings to use on this scope. Is a 20 MOA rail base the best choice? What are the pros/cons to a 20 MOA rail? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Personally I like picatinny rails with some gain. If EGW makes a rail to fit your rifle I'd go with that, and use Burris Zee rings with the inserts to allow you to zero while keeping the scopes mechanical adjustments as close to center as possible for windage, and the elevation near center for 800 to 1000 yards. The scope likely has enough elevation to reach 1000 yards without the sloped rail, but you don't want to make your most challenging shots near the end of the adjustment range. It is much better to have your short range zero near the bottom end and shoot long near the center than the other way around.

I have recently started using the Weaver Picatinny style one piece extended bases. I had been using EGW and found the Weaver Bases are a nicely finished alternative and they are very reasonably priced option as well. The have 0 MOA versions as well as 20 MOA versions. I have a 0 MOA version ordered right now far a new Remington 700 ADL Varmint in .243 that I bought over black friday weekend.

They make one called a multi slot base...and they are the cheap Weaver Style bases that I don't care for. I am attaching a link to the ones I am talking about...

Weaver 1-Piece Extended Multi-Slot Tactical Picatinny-Style Base

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely look into both recommendations. I would like to use a picatiny style base if I can find one that will work

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.