Ruger Model 77 416 Rigby Question

Allen Kitts

I recently picked up a very nice 416 Rigby in an older Model 77 Ruger from a gent on here and it has a barrel band for the front sling stud but the band is inside of the stock as you can see in the picture. I am curious if this could be an issue with splitting the stock if I shoot it to much. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this type of sling swivel stud before. I have booked a cape buffalo hunt in 2025 so I will be shooting this fairly often over the next year in preparation. Its a beautiful rifle and I would hate to split the stock. Thanks in advance for any comments or experience you can share with me.
Ruger Rifle Barrel Band.jpg
19414CF4-49F4-4F34-944A-36EF072271B9.jpeg

It shouldn't be a problem, provided it is properly bedded or the bedding does not fail, A properly bedded recoil lug takes all the force generated, the barrel band usually and is supposed to be free of any contact with the stock, I have never had a opportunity to examine a ruger in 416 rigby, I have spent some time running around in Africa and built and worked on or modified a good number of ruger 77 in 458 Winchester converting them to 458 lott, those older rugers had a second recoil lug attached to the barrel, I would think the Rigby has the same setup, if the rifle has been shot at all, you should be able to tell if the barrel band is clear of any contact with the stock,

That isn't a barrel band, but a secondary recoil lug.
It may look like a barrel band, but its function is not as you think.
Very nice rifle.

Cheers.

I have one just like it. On mine the sling stud was a screw holding a piece of iron bar for added weight. The barrel band as said is second recoil lug. If it has two screws and the one further forward is the sling stud then someone has changed yours and that is a good thing! The sling stud on mine would eat your hand!!!! I did change the butt pad to a recoil reducer type. Ernie the Gunsmith has trigger springs to reduce the pull if it has not already been changed. Shoot it, have fun, its a pig stomper!!

My bad! I just looked at mine and the sling stud was for the barrel band! The second screw back holds the iron in place. The sling stud with a sling will get you!