Ruger American

I have a Ruger American Rifle chambered in 243. It is the gun featured in my avatar. This one shoots .5 moa 3 shot groups with several different kinds of factory ammo. 100gr. sp federal and hornady superformance 57 gr vmax. I have not tried others because these both shoot so well! I've killed many deer with this rifle and I will not sell it! I just love the gun.

First things first check your stock. It may be free floated when you aren't shooting but any kind of pressure on the stock such as loading a bipod and your barrel is in full contact with the stock. Every ruger American I've seen needs some stock work. I had a predator is 6.5 and once I switched out stocks I went from around an inch and a 1/4 to 1/4".

Hello all I'm not sure who all on here owns ruger American rifles on here but i have a ruger American go wild in 308 that i picked up back in January and at the time i wasnt a member on here yet nor did i hand load which if I'd knew then what i know now i wouldnt have bought it but any ways the one i have i can now get to shoot better than a 1 1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards I've tryed 3 different bullets in 3 different weights and 3 different powders and 2 different primes and 3 different kinds of brass and that's the best I can get it to shoot and with factory ammo it wont shoot less than 1 1/2 inch groups.any one else ever had one like this? I'm about to sell the rifle due to I'm tired of waiting time with it.and I've check everything one the rifle the action screws have been torque the factory rail I took off cleaned and lock tight and torque back on I've tryed with a different muzzle brake and without a break and even free floated the barrel more I'm stump with it.ive cleaned it like crazy thanking it had build up I dont know what to do besides change the stock or sell it.any advice would be much appreciated thanks
I had a 22-250 for a number of years, eventually sold it because i was not having any luck getting it to shoot. Tried a large variety of components but my problems persisted

My RARR in 300 BLK shoots decent for what it is, occasionally getting 5 shot groups as small 1/2" at 100 with handloads using the 110 TAC-TX. Average groups are around 1 inch. But the mags leave much to be desired. I did ditch the plastic stock and bedded the rifle into a Boyd's, but it still shoots the same, just looks and feels better. Check to make sure the rifle is properly bedded with that reverse recoil lug thing. Although cheap, most reports I have seen say that the RAR shoots fairly well.

All R A's have crappy tuperware stocks. and have a way of warping so as to make contact with the barrel in warm weather. I cured this by hogging out barrel channel 3/8" from the muzzle to the action and tightening the action to 55" pounds. Also I cut 1 coil off the trigger spring. Now it shoots 1/2 moa 5shot groups!

Ive got one in .308. Bought as a cheap beater truck gun, but the dang thing shoots even better than i had hoped for. Tried a few different bullet and powder combinations and all shot fine with a little work. Currently she likes 155gr bergers and varget. I just take her out of the safe occasionally to re-affirm what a good inexpensive rifle can do.
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do OP.

My wife's rifle is a 6.5CM American Predator.. Ugly as sin, but I worked the trigger, bedded it in a Boyd's At one stock, braked it for her, and that sucker will shoot.. Crappppy factory stock should have never been released to the public.. But the improvements are great.

I have a Ruger Model 77 Mark 11 in 24' barrel. 338 Win Mag. We did bed the action. At a 100yd it shots under a 1/2", with their 8 lbs trigger, and poor butt pad. I would have the action bedded, and change out the trigger to something like 2lbs or under. I don't know how you are resting the rifle nor anything else. It group even with the trigger pull at 8 lbs. I had the trigger change out, and added a butt pad. I have a muzzle brake placed on the barrel a few years back. I has became my go to rifle for hunting large game. I have a Ruger Model 77 in a 22 mag. I had to remove over 1/8 of wood out of the forearm to float the barrel. It was shooting a 4" group at 100 yds, and I got it down to 1" at a 100 yards. I had to adjust my scope up 18" hit bullseye again.

Hello all I'm not sure who all on here owns ruger American rifles on here but i have a ruger American go wild in 308 that i picked up back in January and at the time i wasnt a member on here yet nor did i hand load which if I'd knew then what i know now i wouldnt have bought it but any ways the one i have i can now get to shoot better than a 1 1/4 inch 3 shot group at 100 yards I've tryed 3 different bullets in 3 different weights and 3 different powders and 2 different primes and 3 different kinds of brass and that's the best I can get it to shoot and with factory ammo it wont shoot less than 1 1/2 inch groups.any one else ever had one like this? I'm about to sell the rifle due to I'm tired of waiting time with it.and I've check everything one the rifle the action screws have been torque the factory rail I took off cleaned and lock tight and torque back on I've tryed with a different muzzle brake and without a break and even free floated the barrel more I'm stump with it.ive cleaned it like crazy thanking it had build up I dont know what to do besides change the stock or sell it.any advice would be much appreciated thanks

I was curious, with your reloading combinations, what were your ladder ranges?

Ruger usually has pretty great customer service; you should just call them. Don't tell them you tried handloads, just say that everything you've shot out of it so far has been terrible.

I had to send mine back to Ruger for evaluation. I could not get it to shoot under 1 MOA with factory loads or my reloads. Ruger guarantees 1 MOA with factory ammo.

They put a new barrel and stock on it and it now shoots great with my handloads. I had the same issues you are describing before I finally called Ruger. They were great, got the gun back in about 3 weeks, but this was before Covid-19.

Good luck....

Recent Posts