Ruger American predator

My son wants a 22/250 an he's thinking about the Ruger predator. Any info on this rifle would be appreciated. Thanks
I had one once…..and it is one of those that I wish I'd never sold. Was the most accurate "factory rifle" I have ever known. Consistently shot into 1/4 moa at 200 yards with my hand loads. I did a few things I probably ought not to have done with that rifle. 😇🤷‍♂️

My son wants a 22/250 an he's thinking about the Ruger predator. Any info on this rifle would be appreciated. Thanks
It'll come with 1-10" twist so if you want to use heavy bullets it'll be limited. I'd probably stick with 53 gr vmax. If you buy ammo the twist will be fine for most ammo. I'd also consider a 223 in a standard platform. They should come with 1-8" twist and drop that into a chassis and learn to handload, if you don't already do so. It's a economical rifle that seems to perform well on youtube.

A fast twist Tikka would be nice. I've been looking at Remarms since they have opened up again. Sounds like quality control might be really great. A lot of options out there. But honestly the Ruger looks to be a viable economic choice that I've considered too. I'd go with the cheapest option and drop in into a chassis like Stewart2550 did.

I picked up one a few years ago in 6CM. Didn't care for the action, so spent a couple hours lapping it. Also swapped in a Timney. It shoots better than I can hold it. It's fine for a budget rifle but don't over look the Rem. 783s for a budget platform.

These rifles are inexpensive but tend to shoot good groups right out of the box. I have two. Their v-block mounting system free floats the barrel. Here are some of the pluses:
Came threaded for a brake or suppressor
Already had a rail mounted for a scope
3 1/2 lb trigger out of the box.
Trigger pull reduced to 2 lbs with a spring kit from McArbo.
Minuses
Stock is cheesy and feels cheap
Bolts are not silky smooth
Triggers have that glock style safety.
My first one went into an MDT chassis that takes AICS mags that allow for longer seating depth. This was a personal choice item.
The 1:10 twist in the 22-250 does limit the bullet weight as previously stated.
For the money, your son will get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Got to go with Country Bumpkin on this one. My wife has a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Nightforce NX8 scope. She shot a target at over 1200 yds twice. Very good at shorter ranges also. Excellent rifle especially for the money.

I own a Ruger American Go-Wild. The ruger american is a good gun, but for $200 more you can get a great gun (T3X).

The choice is yours, and honestly they'll both be very accurate, the Tikka just has a much better trigger and action.

I have 2 Ruger Americans. One is a Predator 6.5 CM. The other is a Ranch Rifle in 300 BO. After I bought these I passed on the family heirlooms to the kids and grandkids. I bought these to shoot and use, not to admire and protect so as not to damage the fine wood or bluing. These Rugers flat out shoot and shoot far better than my older rifles did. If you need to raise the comb just get either an Accu riser or a Titan. I really like those forged barrels. The 6.5 easily shot half MOA groups with factory ammo and can get down to .2 and .3 MOA groups with reloads.
These are made to shoot, not worry about.

The Ruger American Predator around $474-$519. The Go Wild around $650. The Tikka IMO worth getting is the 1-8 which starts at $750 plus shipping. For me I'd want a new stock/ chassis for any of these rifles so add another $400 or so to any of the prices. That makes the Predator pretty enticing.

Great choice.
I have one in .204. And a compact American in .243. Both accurate and handle nicely.
I did upgrade the trigger spring in the predator.
If would buy again.

Hmm well lol I stand corrected. Sportman's has the 1-8" twist Tikka for $678. So that's pretty dang good because I'd handload using 75 gr plus bullets. For the person who'd just buy the ammo and is on a budget then the Predator is a good option. Nice to have options.