RUGER American barrels

Litehiker

My Ruger American Predator (6.5 Creedmoor), like all other American rifles, has a hammer forged barrel. Unfortunately I don't know its accuracy potential because I haven't fired it yet but that happens in early November with several brands and bullet weights.

I'm reading in several online forums that the American series tends to be above average in accuracy and I'm wondering if Ruger has a special hammer forging process given that they have such expertise in metallurgy such as high strength investment casting receivers. Granted Ruger American rifles have a great trigger and bedding system to assist in accuracy but the heart of any rifle is its barrel.

Usually cut rifling is the best for accuracy but Sako and Steyr have cracked the accuracy code for hammer forged barrels. Has Ruger also "cracked the code"?

Lite, if Ruger has found the code they're not saying. To my objection, my son bought my grandson an American. To my surprise it shot outstanding right out of the box (7mm08). He bought another (.223) for the other grandson and it was quite accurate also. We are now ready to load some Bergers for them and see how they like them.

My brother owns a gunshop and sells Ruger American rifles. He's receiving only positive feedback regarding accuracy, and he credits the accuracy with the hammer forged barrels. If a company gets hammer forged barrel production down pat, they can produce a lot of accurate barrels at a reasonable cost.

When I had an American, it was a terror at 300 yards. Here's 3 right on the same mark at 300 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 83
Gentlemen,

Your replies have given me faith in my choice. I have read similar posts on other rifle sites and feel that Ruger has committed to fabricating the best barrels possible.

I still think fire lapping will smooth out regular factory barrels and help even more tithe a better gas seal and slightly higher velocity. That's next on my list. I've fire lapped my Browning A-Bolt and found it easier to get it completely clean.

I have a RAR 308 & load for another. They are both 1/2-3/4 MOA shooters with loads they like. What really impressed me is the fact the bores of both rifles foul very little, in fact my 5R Milspec is the only factory barrel I own that copper fouls less, they are very slick. I have 2 Sendero's that are very good shooters but it took a while (Tubbs FF in one) to get those barrels to not foul excessively & have had other Rems & a Sav with the same problem even though they were accurate. I am impressed considering their price point!

Tikka barrels are also hammer forged and they are also not known to be fouling barrels. I own two, and know of several others that also shoot them. And they're also known to be accurate rifles, right out of the factory box they're delivered in.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.