Roy,,270AM question

mr.big

I read here somewhere that your 270 has an OAL of 3.620 and you shoot single shot,I got a 300RUM and am considering this chambering for a rebarrel in the next couple of summers,,the question is can you push one down in the magazine with the tip of the bullet in the feed ramp and load another on top of it making it a 2 shot rifle out of the factory magazine???

Not with mine. It has an aluminum insert that allows only one round at a time.

Howver, Should Bearless chime in, his has a mag. and feeding is not a problem, in his.

I wanted the action to be as stiff as practicable thus the glued in piece.

Mr. Big,

All we need to do is fit a Wyatts extended mag box to your RUM receiver and you will be good to go with up to 3.820" of over all length available. With the standard throat length on my 270 AM, you will need a longer box length then the standard RUM. Easy fix and standard on all my 270 AM rifles now going out of the shop.

Kirby Allen(50)

Yep, trigger guard as well needs to be modified to work. Externally you can not tell at all, internally, there is a bit of work to be done, easy to do though and a huge advantage over the factory box.

Kirby Allen(50)

can I get away with something lighter than the Varmint /Sendero bbl or not and is 28" enough or do I NEED 30 to use the 196???

like to keep it around 12 lbs scoped or 10 if possible.

mr.big,

Mine weighed right @ 12@ w/ Super Sniper scope and carbalite stock and 30" Lilja #5 when Kirby finished it.

I've been dinking w/the stock and bipod. With all she's now @ about 14. But I don't carry it.

PS: I'd consider skipping the US 896 and go with WC 872.

I`ve got a few rifles I dont use much and would like to use all the stuff I have and get by without buying as much as I can.

I have the CDL/SS 300 RUM that the bbl is on its last legs I can use for the action,and a Jewel trigger on a 204 that I can swap for the Shilen on the RUM,and an 8-25 LRT for a scope.

all I think I will need to get is a stock,which I have not even started looking for yet,and put the CDL on a 25-06 I have.
after I get a stock,I think I would have everything for the build except some better mounts.I got some inch Jewel rings on a 36XBR but the LRT is 30mm.

any sugestions for a good stock,the gun will be fired prone with bi-pod and from bags in various permanant shooting houses.after the thing is put together I am planning on getting the whole thing,scope and all camoed in some kinda dead grass pattern.

We can build a lighter weight sporter, no problem at all. Thing to keep in mind is that these rounds produce a high degree of barrel stress when you drive a bullet of this weight and length to these velocities in a fast twist barrel.

As such, there is nothing wrong with a shorter length barrel. Even in a 27" pipe they work very well, of course there will be a big of velocity lose but if portability is more important then 75 to 100 fps at most, then why not.

One example is with my two 7mm AMs, one is a 9.5 lb lightweight with 27" #3 Lilja barrel, the other is a 15.5 lb semi heavy rifle with a 30" Rock barrel.

The 27" barrel will top out around 3200 fps with the 200 gr ULD RBBT, I load to 3150 just to be comfortable. The 30" barrel will do 3350 fps pretty easily but again I load a bit off max at just shy of 3300 fps.

I have never felt lacking with the shorter barreled rifle and used it to take 6 head of big game past 650 yards last year in 7 shots.

Barrel length is nice on an open country rifle, for a more general purpose rifle, there is nothing at all wrong with a 27-28" pipe with any of my conventional sized Allen Magnums.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, "conventional sized Allen Magnums" is that an
oxymoron? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif SOme are just bigger then others!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

mr big,

If it were my build, I'd lean toward McMillan's A5 stock to shoot off bags and bipod... but that'll probably put you over your weight limit (and perhaps price range as well).

Cheapest reasonable alternative for weight and price would be a used sendero stock. They can usually be had for around $175 used, and would be quite functional.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.