7mm roy magnum for moose hunting

I have quite a few 160 and 175 BBC's and they're the gold standard of butt kicking:)

Yeah man, the 175's are some dastardly, nose in the dirt sorta bullets from the Mashburn. I mess with other bullets but until mine are all gone those are usually first in the chamber.

I have hunted with lots of friends who used 7 mag on moose here in BC. Most use heavy, premium bullets and have no trouble. Deep penetration is a must in case your shot isn't the best and you need a follow up on a poor angle. Long shots aren't unusual across meadows or swamps but moose are big targets. A good rangefinder is a help because judging distance can be tricky. I once called in a moose that came out into a meadow with a small lake in the middle of it and when I took the shot nothing happened, so a took another and then another. Still he just stood there in the clear mountain air with the afternoon sun contrasting his dark fur against the yellow grass, big as life, and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. I couldn't imagine missing him. I squatted down and used a dead snag as a rest, took my time and aimed another shot at him and under his belly I could see the bullet splash in the lake behind him. I was aiming way low. With the sun on him I thought he was only about three hundred yards away and he was at least five. I got him with the next shot.

Bitterroot Bonded Cores.. They aren't made anymore, but there are a handful of folks that still have a stash.

Thx Scotty--Bitterroots are the Gold Standard in Butt Kicking! Not a "tin foil" bullet as Bob would of said:).............miss that old dog!

Thx Scotty--Bitterroots are the Gold Standard in Butt Kicking! Not a "tin foil" bullet as Bob would of said:).............miss that old dog!
For sure. That'd fella burn some minutes schooling me on bullets. Hope to count coup with another this year.

They shoot pretty well outta my current Mashburn

Same POI with the 175 ABLR out to 400.

Sweet!

I have some 30 cal/ 165's that Bob sent me in thanks of using my Mash reamer the first time, I need to get them rocking in my G-dad's P64/06

The suggestions of heavy (and therefore long) for caliber bullets ignore what the barrel can twist into stable flight. You might not see this at a hundred yard sight in but back up to 300 yards and you could be seeing tumbling bullets. Weatherby barrels, have a variety of twists from different decades. It is best to measure yourself the actual twist with a cleaning rod. Tumbling bullets might prove unreliable. It could be that a 160 gr bullet, that flies stable, could penetrate and mushroom fatally. Remember the advice, don't choose a bullet based on ideal conditions but choose a bullet based on what can go wrong. John Nosler, started Nosler bullets, after a moose hunt with Winchester factory ammunition that did not expand and penitrate fatally. 300 Win Magnum, if memory serves me.