257 Roy

Done some loading today on the 257 Weatherby loading 101 grain grain Barnes lrx used Rl25 powder Federal 215 large magnum primers my chrono messed up started light at 70 grains worked my way up to 75 grains no pressure signs at all and also nosler 110 grain accubond at 74 grain great accuracy best its ever shot wondering if anyone might know what velocity it may have and ever tried these on 🦌
I just shot a ladder in my 257 with the 101 LRX and RL26. Hit pressure and stiff bolt @ 3840fps. I'll have to look at my notes for the specifics.

On the nobler I used 74 I may step that up cause it literally cut same hole out no pressure signs at all I tried 7828 from 69 to 73 grains hit pressure at 72.5 and none of it shot under inch got some 4831 but only way it would be better if it faster

I've killed deer with the 100 gr Sierras, 100 gr ballistic tips, 100 gr Barnes, 115 gr ballistic tips, 115 Bergers, 110 gr Accubonds, probably a couple others.
Out of the 257 Wby, it really depends on what your rifle likes. They all kill, the monos and bonded seemed to kill a little slower to me.
The 115 grain Bergers really "slaps them down" with a loud wack!
The 110 grain Accubonds, only killed two bucks with them and was disappointed. The only deer I've ever seen take more than a couple stumbling steps after being hit with the big 257. One buck ran about 40 yards and the other went about 120 yards.
Thought I missed the sob.
You want them to drop right now? Shoot them with a 100 grain lead core bullet.
Just my experiences,
Gary

My 25-06 AI is a custom thumb hole fajen stock and loves the Nosler 110 AccuBond and the 115 gr using IMR 4831 -4350 also Retumbo for years ++ and moves them right along . I don't go for speed just accuracy and bullet placement does the job just great for me,

I've killed deer with the 100 gr Sierras, 100 gr ballistic tips, 100 gr Barnes, 115 gr ballistic tips, 115 Bergers, 110 gr Accubonds, probably a couple others.
Out of the 257 Wby, it really depends on what your rifle likes. They all kill, the monos and bonded seemed to kill a little slower to me.
The 115 grain Bergers really "slaps them down" with a loud wack!
The 110 grain Accubonds, only killed two bucks with them and was disappointed. The only deer I've ever seen take more than a couple stumbling steps after being hit with the big 257. One buck ran about 40 yards and the other went about 120 yards.
Thought I missed the sob.
You want them to drop right now? Shoot them with a 100 grain lead core bullet.
Just my experiences,
Gary
I got some Hornady interlock and sst have u tried those

I got some Hornady interlock and sst have u tried those
I haven't shot any of the SSTs
I did use the regular 100 grain Hornadys for a few deer and ground hogs in my first barrel. They worked fine, my rifle liked the 100 grain flat based Sierras a little better. Weatherby has loaded that 100 grain Hornady in their factory ammo from the get and it has killed everything.
Gary

I haven't shot any of the SSTs
I did use the regular 100 grain Hornadys for a few deer and ground hogs in my first barrel. They worked fine, my rifle liked the 100 grain flat based Sierras a little better. Weatherby has loaded that 100 grain Hornady in their factory ammo from the get and it has killed everything.
Gary
I been mostly afraid soft bullets may not exit not that they want do the job but some deer are tuff I shot one with 139 sst in 7 mag perfect shot ran bout 150 yards no blood and one with 180. Bergers in 300 rum had to shoot it twice bullet hit shoulder exploded

Done some loading today on the 257 Weatherby loading 101 grain grain Barnes lrx used Rl25 powder Federal 215 large magnum primers my chrono messed up started light at 70 grains worked my way up to 75 grains no pressure signs at all and also nosler 110 grain accubond at 74 grain great accuracy best its ever shot wondering if anyone might know what velocity it may have and ever tried these on 🦌
The 257 bee is a speed freak that is chomping at the bit to reach it reach it's full potential in point and shoot scenario out to 400 yds. The 92gr Hammer Hunters would be worth a try. Lead core at those speeds are great until you make a marginal shot and things don't go as planned. If your objective is point/shoot 400yds and under, the hammers are worth a try. On the other hand, if the majority of your shots are beyond that range, lead core may suit you better. Both Barnes and Hammers will fit the bill but from what I've experienced over the past several years, the Hammers do it better. Good luck with your process and enjoy the journey. Last but not least, I would highly recommend getting the chronograph fixed to know exactly where you are.

Last edited:
The 257 bee is a speed freak that is chomping at the bit to reach it reach it's full potential in the point as s shoot game out to 400 yds. The 92gr Hammer Hunters would be worth a try. Lead core at those speeds are great until you make a marginal shot and things don't go as planned. If your objective is point/shoot 400yds and under, the hammers are worth a try. On the other hand, if the majority of your shots are beyond that range, lead core may suit you better. Both Barnes and Hammers will fit the bill but from what I've experienced over the past several years, the Hammers do it better. Good luck with your process and enjoy the journey. Last but not least, I would highly recommend getting the chronograph fixed to know exactly where you are.
I agree thinking bout order a blue tooth chronograph next week saw it on midway may give it a try

Back to the OP - like it has been said, you need to fire your loads over the chrono. You could be 100 fps faster or slower than what the books say.
As for killing deer, other than the two I shot with the 110 Accubonds, 99 percent that I've shot with the 257 Wby just fall down.
Everything in the chest cavity is wrecked!
Gary

That's true I'm going to get a new chronograph before I just settle on what I got but how accurate it was with the rl25 is what got me I wish I had a picture I get one next time but 2 shots would have went through a 30 cal hole and never scrape the sides can't shoot 3 barrel to hot they fluted a small barrel heats way faster

FWIW. I had a Wby 30.06 action so had a custom barrel made for it. 24" 1:7.5 gain twist. Chamber was machined to have .045 th. from the ogive of a 115 Barnes TSX FB to rifling. 70gr. H1000, 215 Federal primers. Set the scope with bore sighting done at 30yds. 2 shots to get to 0 at 100 yds. First set of 5 shot group came in at 3/8" at 100yds. Velocity over chrony avg. of 3296 fps. Settled for that load so not hard on barrel and cartridges are factory length. I am happy with that.