257 Roy

JamesWilson5

Done some loading today on the 257 Weatherby loading 101 grain grain Barnes lrx used Rl25 powder Federal 215 large magnum primers my chrono messed up started light at 70 grains worked my way up to 75 grains no pressure signs at all and also nosler 110 grain accubond at 74 grain great accuracy best its ever shot wondering if anyone might know what velocity it may have and ever tried these on 🦌

Done some loading today on the 257 Weatherby loading 101 grain grain Barnes lrx used Rl25 powder Federal 215 large magnum primers my chrono messed up started light at 70 grains worked my way up to 75 grains no pressure signs at all and also nosler 110 grain accubond at 74 grain great accuracy best its ever shot wondering if anyone might know what velocity it may have and ever tried these on 🦌
It is best to chronograph it to measure the actual MVs out of your rifle set-up.

Last edited:
I agree I have had great results with rl25 in the 7 300 and 338 rums I shot a lot of imr powder good powder but I'm getting outstanding accuracy from the rl25 with factory and custom rifle

I'm curious what your rifle setup is like. I'm planning on building a .257 wby and would like to shoot 110 AB as well.

It's always best to measure your velocities from your rifle but sometimes an estimate helps with an understanding of what might be going on.

Here is the data from Nosler which contains velocities for the E-Tip bullets which are solids. Note the additional bullet weights at the top of the heading. Go to the page and select the weight you want to see.

This can provide an estimate of what you might be getting, a suggestion only, not actual data points. Otherwise call Barnes.

1657453089121.png

I'm curious what your rifle setup is like. I'm planning on building a .257 wby and would like to shoot 110 AB as well.
@sable tireur provided an estimate out of a 26" with1:10" barrel. IIWY, if you are going to build, make sure you have the right barrel twist to propel the new bullet offerings. I have a 5R with a 1:7" twist. The rifle is built primarily for the heavies, 131s,133s/135s, and now the 145s - a game-changer for the quarter bore cartridge.

.257 WBTY scoped.jpg

.257 WBTY scoped and suppressed.jpg

I shot factory 110 SPs to break in my barrel without any issues. Just my 2-pence for your consideration. Good luck!

@sable tireur provided an estimate out of a 26" with1:10" barrel. IIWY, if you are going to build, make sure you have the right barrel twist to propel the new bullet offerings. I have a 5R with a 1:7" twist. The rifle is built primarily for the heavies, 131s,133s/135s, and now the 145s - a game-changer for the quarter bore cartridge.

View attachment 377920
View attachment 377921

I shot factory 110 SPs to break in my barrel without any issues. Just my 2-pence for your consideration. Good luck!
Nice set up

View attachment 377920
View attachment 377921

I shot factory 110 SPs to break in my barrel without any issues. Just my 2-pence for your consideration. Good luck
That is a beautiful rifle for sure. I've debated on what twist barrel to put on it. It helps knowing a 7 twist isn't too fast for 110 grain pills. Thank you

Mine has a 1.10 twist probably want like the heavier pill did I build the rifle I wouldn't mind getting one like that I like that I'm working on a custom now for my wife she just wants to picky on the stock

My rifle is a Weatherby vanguard first lite 26 in barrel all factory scoped with a Burris fulfilled got it just after last season
Mine has a 1.10 twist probably want like the heavier pill did I build the rifle I wouldn't mind getting one like that I like that I'm working on a custom now for my wife she just wants to picky on the stock
I just looked at my Nosler 6th edition, but it does not show RL25 for the 110 NAB. 115 shows 72g (max) of RL25 (most accurate powder tested) with an MV of 3299 FPS (97% load density) out of 26" Lilja 1:10" F215 WBY brass.