7mm roy magnum for moose hunting

ann brezinski

what would you load ina deluxe roy 7mm magnum for hunting moose in canada.a freind has one he just got.has a 26 inch barrel.

Dad shot a few moose with a regular 7mm and 175 gr partitions in bear country.
I'd say the bear country question (for me) is one to consider as well.
If shooting a 7mm i'd likely shoot the 175 gr partitions

I've hunted moose in Canada many times and have seen plenty of them dropped with .308Win or 30-06, so you can't go wrong with any hunting bullet in your 7mag. IMO, the 175gr Partition would be about as good as it gets providing that you can find an accurate load.

Remember, sometimes the only shot opportunity that you may get will be at some distance. A 300yd-400yd shot isn't uncommon up there. The largest bull that I have taken in Newfoundland was first spotted at just over 1,000yds. It was on a rock covered mountain top and was called into shooting range.

the 175gr Partition would be about as good as it gets providing that you can find an accurate load.

This is what I consider to be an appropriate answer for your friend. He/she will need an accurate load and lots of practice shooting accurately from field positions. Always try for the closer shot for more confidence.

Be sure to look at the Hammer Hunter 169 gr. solids. They have been both accurate and consistent with my loads.

For my personal 7mm magnum (Not Weatherby mag), the 160 Nosler Partition is one of the most accurate bullets it shoots. That's plenty for moose even tho the 175 may be a better option. As said, shoot what hits where you have the crosshairs.