Rookiest of rookies to rifles...(30-06 question/s)

Silvershade

Ok for context I've been shooting for only 11-12ish years but mostly all handgun and shotty...

One day I found a screamin insane deal on some rifle ammo at an estate sale which lead me to buy a Howa 1500 (I think that's the model number) 30-06...

And then fast forward like 8 years and I've still never taken it out to shoot...hahahha

So I have never broken it in, I have a good amount of ammo for it. I have match grade and normal win whitebox...

Should I break it in with whatever or....?
What all should I do for break in IE shoot, clean, oil etc for 20 rounds? I've read all kinds of stuff...

Anyone else use the 30-06 and is it still a viable choice for hunting these days? Seems like everyone on GunplanetEarth uses 6.5 creedmore or killmaster9000 rounds hahaha

I personally break in every rifle per manufacturer spec. Some say you don't need to and I wouldn't disagree. Just something I do. My routine is 1 shot clean for 5 rounds, 5 shots clean for 5 rounds and use copper cleaning solvent. I use cheap factory ammo as well. Then, go about your normal cleaning routine. I usually clean every winter after rifle season or if shooting a lot in spring/ summer every 50-100 rounds. I absolutely think the 06 is one of the most universal cartridges out there! (Next to the 300 win mag) I own 2 just as backups but it's a great all around cartridge none the less. Have fun with it, shoot it a lot and then think about upgrading. You'll be surprised how accurate the old 06 can get. Others on here can elaborate way better on handloads for it as I have just found one that works. Enjoy!

30-06 is still a great choice and ammo is easy to find if you run out.
Barrel break in procedures are very subjective, and you'll get opinions on the process you should use running from just shoot it and enjoy (because it's not an expensive rifle, or manufacturing techniques are so good you don't need to) to a regime of shoot 1 and clean for 5 shots, then shoot 2 shots and clean for 10 shots....
Before you take your first shot, I'd clean the barrel with copper solvent, brush and patches to make sure the gun is clean to start with.
I believe most barrels won't need a lot of break-in, but think you have to let the barrel tell you what you need to do with it.
I'd shoot a round, clean with copper solvent, a brush and patch. If it takes a bunch of work to get the patches to come out clean (no blue color), shoot another round and clean until it's not taking a lot to get the barrel clean, then shoot a string of 3-5 rounds and repeat the cleaning process until it doesn't take much to get the gun clean.
I recently bought a bore scope to assist me in making sure the gun is copper free and it was the best purchase I've made in a while. I figured since I'm looking to build some semi-custom rifles for myself, it would be worth the purchase to really see what the barrel(s) looked like before and after break-in.
Whatever you decide, shoot it and by all means, if you want to hunt with it don't hesitate: the 30-06 is a great caliber!

I realize that you are pretty new to this…..but, I'll throw in my 2 cents!

Use one of the break-in procedures mentioned….until you have at least 30 or 40 rounds downrange!

If at the end of your break-in period, if you are still getting a lot of copper fouling (determined by the richness of color on your patches when using the copper solvent) after a string of 20 or so rounds ….
this is my proceedure.

I get a good polishing compound, either something specifically for metal polishing or in my case automotive polishing compound (something you would feel comfortable restoring the paint on your Classic Corvette). Get good tight fitting cleaning patches, use a liberal amount of compound on the patch, and push back/forth through the bore from the breech. When you feel as though your arm will fall off….rest a bit and repeat!

I've done this on several rifles, and my 14" Contender in .223 Rem., unless it's a "match grade" barrel, I now do this before (needed or not) I ever send a bullet downrange! It's never failed to reduce fowling and improve groups.

Back in the early '90's, I had a friend that had a new SS Remington t 25-06 that he wanted to use the then new Barnes X bullets! These bullets were notorious for fouling……particularly in a rough bore! His rifle, at best shot patterns - not groups! I convinced him to try my procedure. It reduced the fouling, and improved groups. Yes, we can now call them groups…..still nothing to "write home about"! However, in his one and only time he had the opportunity to hunt elk in Wyoming….he killed the "biggest" bodied bull elk I've ever seen! One shot, on a running elk, broadside behind the shoulder, the little Barnes exited and did it's job quite well! memtb

I think break in doesn't matter and it's just that less polished bores take a little longer to totally get settled down, but I don't much see how a jag and some liquid is doing something a copper bullet swagged to the bore going 3000fps at thousands of degrees isn't doing.

When I asked a pretty well known lr benchrest builder how he wanted me to break in my barrel he said "just shoot it"

On breaking in a rifle barrel,I had pictures on my old computer of a barrel that was replaced.They cut it longwise and showed the rifling ruined as small particles of rifling was broken off and embedded into the barrel and stated that was from not breaking in a barrel.I don't remember how old those pictures were but it was not recent.
They may make barrels better now and don't know of any recent pic's of ruined barrels like that.
Just to be safe I break in just as others have mentioned.
Here is a video of a real pro shooter and his method:

Last edited:
I personally break in every rifle per manufacturer spec. Some say you don't need to and I wouldn't disagree. Just something I do. My routine is 1 shot clean for 5 rounds, 5 shots clean for 5 rounds and use copper cleaning solvent. I use cheap factory ammo as well. Then, go about your normal cleaning routine. I usually clean every winter after rifle season or if shooting a lot in spring/ summer every 50-100 rounds. I absolutely think the 06 is one of the most universal cartridges out there! (Next to the 300 win mag) I own 2 just as backups but it's a great all around cartridge none the less. Have fun with it, shoot it a lot and then think about upgrading. You'll be surprised how accurate the old 06 can get. Others on here can elaborate way better on handloads for it as I have just found one that works. Enjoy!

Which copper solvent yall use? Any specific name brand or just copper solvent.

Ok for context I've been shooting for only 11-12ish years but mostly all handgun and shotty...

One day I found a screamin insane deal on some rifle ammo at an estate sale which lead me to buy a Howa 1500 (I think that's the model number) 30-06...

And then fast forward like 8 years and I've still never taken it out to shoot...hahahha

So I have never broken it in, I have a good amount of ammo for it. I have match grade and normal win whitebox...

Should I break it in with whatever or....?
What all should I do for break in IE shoot, clean, oil etc for 20 rounds? I've read all kinds of stuff...

Anyone else use the 30-06 and is it still a viable choice for hunting these days? Seems like everyone on GunplanetEarth uses 6.5 creedmore or killmaster9000 rounds hahaha
I'm a firm believer that barrel break in is the biggest bag of BS I've ever heard of! The 30-06 is just fine for any thing in North America with the right bullets and placement. Not quite a creedmoor but darned close( just kidding)