Rolling Shoulders

Got me worried, I never use any lub on the bullets, dry or otherwise.
Loading up some 223 with 50 grain barnes varmint grenades last night and this happened. Not only deformed the case but also shaved a ring from the bullet (if you look carefully, you can see a portion of it on the bottom case in the second pic). I had put a 0.001 undersized neck mandrel in as I'd been using remington brass but changed to GFL which is better quality and hadn't changed back to the full size mandrel.
I chamfer after necksizing (my rifle is a ruger #3 single shot) but the base of the barnes bullet is very cleanly formed at 90 degrees.
FWIW I only full length resize when using brass that hasn't gone through my rifle, after that it's just neck sizing till the pockets loosen up.
223 cases.JPG
223 cases 2.JPG

Last edited:
I'm using a RCBS Gold Medal seating die. 300RUM ADG case and a 240gr Alco bullet. The first one went in without any trouble, than the next two did this. I've never seen this before, was wondering what the cause would be? Bullets have a coating of HbN.

View attachment 274224
View attachment 274225
View attachment 274226
View attachment 274227
Simple issue. Neck tension set to tight OR you didn't chamfer. Use VLD chamfer IMO for that caliber.
Lastly, if new brass I've seen them form a sticky finish on the inside as a result of the manufacturers process- not sure what that's called. If used brass, chamfer, doesn't hurt to use a mop wipe either.
most of us have done this before.

The only time I've had anything like that happen is when I didn't chamfer so the force of seating the bullet collapsed the shoulders, not nearly that much though. Or, the first time I set up a Hornady die, the bullet stabilizing slider didn't have enough room and it did that, die was way too low. I haven't used those dies and I don't know what intricacies they have. Obviously, there's something in the setup that's causing that. I don't think tour expander ball is too small, you still need some neck tension.

Mines reading .3055 from the looks, do I need to go more?
View attachment 274236
After spring-back your ID is probably about .3045". So about .0035" of "neck interference". Nothing too excessive under normal conditions. Maybe the Hbn is creating a little more interference as someone mentioned or the die has an internal issue. A good disassembly and cleaning of the die is where I would start.

I solved that problem by using this NOE Expander Plug in a LEE Universal Neck Expander Die.
It works just like a Lyman "M" die, but it is available in a wide variety of sizes. Bullet run-out has been minimized as it inside neck expands while aligning the entire neck at 90* to the base of the case.
It works for me, loading 12 different calibers.

I'm using a RCBS Gold Medal seating die. 300RUM ADG case and a 240gr Alco bullet. The first one went in without any trouble, than the next two did this. I've never seen this before, was wondering what the cause would be? Bullets have a coating of HbN.

View attachment 274224
View attachment 274225
View attachment 274226
View attachment 274227
Are these new brass or did you anneal them. A buddy of mine annealed his brass to long and made the brass to soft so when he seated them the shoulders collapsed like your did. It could also be something you are doing when setting up your seating die.

These were brand new, so I didn't think I needed to run them through the sizer because I seated the ELDXs previously with no issues.
I always run my brass even if it is brand new through a expander mandrel. I find it gives me more consistent neck tension. I have bought new Lapua brass and thought that it should not need resized because it already should be. What I found out that there was not enough neck tension and my bullets could be pulled out just using my fingers. So I always resize and then use a expander mandrel so I do not have those issues any more. Good luck.

View attachment 274224
View attachment 274225
View attachment 274226
View attachment 274227

Perhaps it's been mentioned, check your crimp setting, check your expander-ball diameter, and you might think about picking up a Neck Expander Mandrel and Expander Die body for your caliber. Start over again by backing your seating die-off and trying a couple of cases without seating a bullet then Mic the ID, do the same with your sizer Die, get the ID after sizing. Good luck.

I use a Lyman 22* chamfer tool, it's the "VLD" style like a K&M or Sinclairs (meaning 22* and not 45*), but a lot cheaper. Mine is in a RCBS prep station, not in the handle anymore.

FWIW I brush necks after I chamfer/deburr with an old RSBC case neck brush mounted on the prep station, it started as white nylon and is black now because I use an Imperial dry neck lube kit, so it probably has picked up enough graphite out of dirty necks to be the equivalent of dipping the case at this point.

Completely random aside for people who use the Imperial dry neck lube - do you dip the case or the bullet?

I did this to a round for my wife's creed the other day. It was literally just a bonehead on my part. Ram felt like it was cammed over but it wasn't. Start over with an empty piece of brass just to make sure you aren't contacting the brass with the seating die. If that's not it something is terribly wrong.