Dented shoulders

7MMMagnum

I have been reloading for over 45 years and recently ran into a problem resizing cases. Using Redding Premium resizing dies and Hornady Unique lube on Hornady 6.5 PRC cases. I use the precision Redding shell holder set and maintain bumping the shoulder .001-.002. On every 3rd or 4th case I notice a small dent in the shoulder, some worse than others. I load many different calibers and in my reloading career have dented a case or two but has always been an over lubrication issue. I have tried just as little lube as possible and cleaning the die multiple times and gone through all the remedies posted on Reddings site. Does anyone else have this issue with 6.5 PRC cases and resizing?

Redding doesnt use a vent hole in their dies like rcbs and trapped air can cause it. Had this on 250ai once.
could it also be lube working its way down the neck to the shoulder and causing lube dents?
since changing to royal case lube i haven't had a shoulder lube dent. It works well for me

Redding site says a vent hole is not necessary on their dies. I know I have never had an issue with RCBS dies (they all have a vent hole) and so don't know if the vent hole matters or not, but results so far may indicate otherwise. I have both RCBS case lube/pad and some Imperial Die Wax. I will try both on my next run and see if it makes a difference. I have also noticed the cases do not run up smoothly into the Redding die. Seems awful rough inside. Does anyone know if they polish the inner surfaces as other die makers do?

Clean your die out with brake cleaner and a wire brush and patches. Put only very light coat of lube on the case. Try again.

You can always use a carbide drill bit and if you have a drill press drill a vent hole in the die if you want. But if you use light coating and clean the die ever so often it should be fine.

Whatever you do not trash those dented cases. Load them and shoot'm the dent will blow right out and be fine.

I also read on the Redding site that a poorly matched die to rifle chamber sizing may contribute to the denting and it may be more of a wrinkle. Interesting what you can read when encountering issues. I certainly plan on using the lubes and techniques suggested plus taking careful measurements of the fired and resized cases to see how much the brass is being reduced. Glad I don't have this issue with my other calibers.

I'm having that same issue with hornady one shot lube with hornady brass… I'm switching to whidden dies and see if that fixes the issue

I just sent a Redding FL die back to Redding for inspection. I had a 223 AI made and tried to resize some initial pieces. Hornady One Shot was initially used and the upstroke on the ram made it feel like the die was full of sand it was so rough. After using Redding sizing wax it was smoother but then I got a case stuck. Not sure if its a bad chamber causing the issue or the die. I will have to wait and see what Redding says. First Redding die and first custom rifle. All other dies have been RCBS and factory rifles.

I just sent a Redding FL die back to Redding for inspection. I had a 223 AI made and tried to resize some initial pieces. Hornady One Shot was initially used and the upstroke on the ram made it feel like the die was full of sand it was so rough. After using Redding sizing wax it was smoother but then I got a case stuck. Not sure if its a bad chamber causing the issue or the die. I will have to wait and see what Redding says. First Redding die and first custom rifle. All other dies have been RCBS and factory rifles.
Try doing a through cleaning of the inside of the die body. Finish with brake cleaner to fully degrease and flush it out. Then try a lightly lubed case and see if it feels smoother. If you had a bore scope you coukd visually inspect the inside of the die in case if rough surface/chatter marks.

I'm having that same issue with hornady one shot lube with hornady brass… I'm switching to whidden dies and see if that fixes the issue
I've had the same problem with whidden dies on my 6.5 GAP 4S. I ended up rebarreling because I had so much different issues with it.

You can always use a carbide drill bit and if you have a drill press drill a vent hole in the die if you want. But if you use light coating and clean the die ever so often it should be fine

Exactly what I had to do to a Redding 7mm Mag die to correct this exact problem.

I have been reloading for over 45 years and recently ran into a problem resizing cases. Using Redding Premium resizing dies and Hornady Unique lube on Hornady 6.5 PRC cases. I use the precision Redding shell holder set and maintain bumping the shoulder .001-.002. On every 3rd or 4th case I notice a small dent in the shoulder, some worse than others. I load many different calibers and in my reloading career have dented a case or two but has always been an over lubrication issue. I have tried just as little lube as possible and cleaning the die multiple times and gone through all the remedies posted on Reddings site. Does anyone else have this issue with 6.5 PRC cases and resizing?
Had this issue. I drilled vent holes in my Redding dies and started using Hornady spray One Shot wax. Wipe off cases prior to applying spray. Clean out dies thoroughly every 50- 100 or so. I use brake cleaner followed by alcohol using Q tips. Dry well. Apply minimum wax spray. Problem solved.

What is odd is that you mention every third or fourth case. If it was lube or vent hole wouldn't you get the same issue on a first or second case also ? Are you possibly making a quicker stroke when you get to these cases ? Which could possibly be not letting the air escape quick enough ? Is the dent in the same location & size every time ?

Last edited: