Rocks

• Thread starter Deleted member 110544
  • Start date
Yes last year me and a buddy did a self hunt for mule deer in NM. Hunted four days, coldest it got was 57 with full moon. Animals were scares to say the least. Last day watched 5 deer at 800 yards could not see horns because of brush behind them. When they reach the top they were day lighted. Sure enough one shooter but not ethical not knowing what was beyond.

We scurried up once they got to other side to see if we could spot them on the downhill side. Got there but they weren't. Last day so We found 8 inch rock at about 800 yards from where we had come from. Put up the sticks got the rest obliterated 8 inch rock with 338.

No meat but felt good knowing we could have.

I think it is good to try and push and or sure your self of the skills obtained. Remember to keep things right we dont need more people saying there is another reason why we don't need GUNS just shooting all over the place. Spring ad Summer puts non hunters out there in all kinds of places. So watch out for them.

I remember my mentor uncle and I were out walking, not hunting anything, just looking around and talking. I had my .338 WM (as usual) and he had his Sako .223, also as usual. He was awfully good with that rifle, I watched him shoot a sage hen out of the air with it after I missed with my 12 ga! So we're walking along and suddenly he stops and says, "Give me that cannon!" As I hand him the .338, I'm looking where he's looking, trying to figure out what he's seeing. I can't see anything but rocks! I was sure it was something significant because he doesn't much care for heavy recoiling rifles. He takes careful aim while I'm still trying to figure out what the devil he's looking at. Boom! I see where the bullet hits on the side of a huge boulder but still can't figure out what he was shooting at... and he is not one to miss! I stand there like a dummy as he hands the rifle back snd says, proudly, "There. I just killed the biggest rock in Lassen County!"
He was like that, used to make me crazy at times! But those were sure good times! I got him back a couple of times, too. Stories for another day.
Cheers,
crkckr

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.