Rl 25 .243 ai

Greg Duerr

I check on past questions on this sight and saw that some guys use RL 25 in their .243 Ackleys................then I read that its not recommended. However in the Berger Manual it give a RL 25 and a recommended powder using the 105 It also recommends Retumbo with is slower than H1000 and Nosler shows H1000 as a powder for the 105...................

It seems like this is similar to the Case issue, you don't know what works or does not work until you try it...........................

There are calibers that have secondary pressure spikes, I'm pretty sure that the 243 is one and the 7STW and 7RM, 223, and possibly the 22-250. Without pressure testing equipment you might not know that you are getting a large secondary spike. There are some examples on RSI's site I believe.

Sometimes I wonder if that isn't the reason for certain powders not being recommended.

Rifle Chamber Pressure Testing Software & Load Analyzer | Pressure Trace

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/barrel.htm

I actually have an early Remington 7mag that had a bulge in the end of the barrel,my gunsmith checked it out and cut off about 1.375" and it is fine now. Bought it for the action but it shoots really well now.

That would be a thought but the Smith that built the rifle was getting super groups with 49gr of RL 22 out of my rifle

If I went to 49gr my wife would be dating in about three months.

One of my former colleagues used nothing but RL-25 in his .243AI with the 87grn V-max. With his rifle, it seemed he ran out of powder capacity before velocity really came on board. He was ~100fps faster than my factory .243 using the same bullet & RL-19.

t

out of curiosity if you don't mind ,what is the max charge of rl 25 for the 105gr bullet in the berger manual ? around 49 gr compresed loads ???

I was just curious what the reloading manual said since you said your smith was running 49 of rl 22 and I have seen where a couple of people were using 48 or 49 loads of rl 25 with a 105 berger in a 243 Ackley

I'm starting to smell a mis-marked load from your 'smith... I was stiff pressure years back with a standard 243 and 44 rl22 with a 100 hdy....

Yes, The load I was given was 49gr of RL 22 105 Berger..................What I'm
getting is HIGH Presure with 44gr along with a blown primer pocket.

Thats just .7gr over the Max load for the 105 Berger from the Berger Reloading Manual for the Standard .243

Maybe its just me but I was under the impression that if your rifle was Chambered for the .243 AI that your Charge would be a little more than a standard .243.

At 43.0 Grains I was getting a velocity of 3240FPS...........................However the accuracy was about 1.5"

is the over all length of your load the same as bergers book ? could you have your bullet jammed into the lands raising pressure?

I talked with the Sierra Bullet Tecks and they gave me the reason why my pressures are so high...................I just never thought about it.

After you fire a shot the case necks have expanded enough so that you can slid a bullet into the Neck the reason to nick size the necks so it will hold the bullet..........................The Necks are still so tight that I cant begin to push in a bullet.............The reason Im getting such high pressure with minimal loads
WHen I fire a shot the necks have no place to expand to.....................to release the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.