Rl 25 .243 ai

What would cause your neck to go from OK to way to tight..........................my first attempt at Fire Forming ............was not good. All my cases had blown primer pockets...............THe smith told me that they were way to hot. That this might have casued a Carbon Ring..

Is a Carbon Ring in the chamber or the neck...................Im still lost on how the necks became so tight.

The smith told me that when he Fire Formed Winchester Brass there was no problem or was there when he shot with the Ackley formed cases.

I was shooting Lapua brass that is suppose to be thicker but I did use some Winchester with the same issue.

Well, I will be glad when all this is resolved as this is all over my head ............

The Smith said that he has used that reamer before mine and after with no issues....................................???

How many rounds down the tube? I assumed (I know, I know) this was a relatively new rifle? A quick look with a bore scope may prove useful, most 'smiths should have one.

What were the chrony results of your fired loads? Velocity should be a good indication of where your issues lie; if it's high, you're too hot on the powder side, if it's low you have different issues.

What do your formed cases look like? Any abnormalities on/around the neck? What do your fired necks measure compared to your necks on a loaded round?

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.