Ring on Brass

orangediablo

after resizing all my brass, I noticed a ring, just below the shoulder. I tried to get it to show the best I could in the picture. It has more luster than the rest of the case, and I'm guessing it's where the brass is being stretched to length? Measured all the brass, and they were all within 0.004" of each other (not using comparator, just calipers). Just trying to see what's happening and gain more knowledge.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 86
That looks like the original neck shoulder junction. This is common because most factory ammo/brass is sized smaller to fit all chambers, and when fired in a SAMME chamber, the brass is moved forward because of chamber fit.

If you look close, there is also evidence of this on the body to shoulder junction also.

It is common and there is no problem with it. size your brass only enough to chamber easily and it will last a long time.

J E CUSTOM

I see the same thing on my brass plus 2-3 rings down the body of the brass. There wider and don't look like the cases I have seen that are getting thin by the head and ready to separate just a ring where the brass looks a lil more "shined" up. I just assume it's left by sort of pressure points in the sizing die.

I just assume it's left by sort of pressure points in the sizing die.

I think this is it. I see it on my brass too. It is where the die starts to compress the case back to size. It looks kinda scuffed on my cases. They are most prominent at the case shoulder junction and then just before the web.

The only thing I see that could be of any concern is the ring at the body, shoulder junction.

Slip a micrometer over it and be sure it's not bulging out any just to be sure you're not pushing the shoulder back to far.

It's probably just wear marks but it never hurts to be sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.