Redding dies leaving circular rings on brass?

WEATHERBY460

300 WBY Brass that was previously neck sized. Shot, and now I'm trying to full length resize. I'm using sizing wax and tried hornady case lube, but I'm getting circular scratches going around the case. I removed the decapping pin and mouth sizer ball assembly, and it was still doing it, so its for sure the die body. Any one else ever see this issue?

I'm dealing with that with a set of dies right now. The very knowledgeable folks at my lgs said that it isn't a big deal. It's just carbon in the die. It just makes it ugly, but won't have any effect on function or brass life. Worry about it if you want to, or just keep loading and shooting.

On this one, the scratches are on the upper portion, but it happens on the upper and bottom.

Attachments

• 300 Brass.jpg
    300 Brass.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 209
Perhaps the die is not at fault but the brass? It appears from the photo that you have raised ribs on the brass and as the brass is pushed into the die it polishes the high spots on the brass. Can you feel the rings on the brass? Take a straight edge and put on the brass with a back light and see if the rings are higher that the body of the brass? If the die had rings in it you would have difficultly getting the brass back out of the die after sizing. I would simply shoot and stop worrying. If it bothers you just tumble them in some polishing media.

Sometimes its the chamber that has reamer grooves...not necessarily the die.
You won't see the rings on brass until you run them thru a FL sizer and the bulged rings rub harder on the die wall causing them to shine up.
I have a 308 rifle chamber that has one noticeable reamer groove only on one side (something got caught up in the reamer for a half turn) and it shows up very well when FL sizing. Doesn't hurt accuracy or anything so I never worried about it.

Last edited:
On this one, the scratches are on the upper portion, but it happens on the upper and bottom.
I believe it is the chamber and the brass just gets rubbed harder on the rings think about direction of rotation when chambering a barrel that is the rings on your brass, if there was a bur in your die the scratch would be vertical as the case is pressed into and removed from the die

Recent Posts