Redding seater die leaves ring around bullet

Strader01

With new Lapua brass my New Redding Match series seating die is leaving a light ring around each jacketed 55 grain bullet around 1/4 down from top. I have tried both the neck bushings I have which are .251 and .252 and even a couple shells that haven't been neck sized and still have the same ring. Will this tension on the bullet change after first firing in my single shot Browning 1885 - 22-250 ? Anyone else get that small ring that they can feel around the bullet? seems like I need to polish the piece up inside that creates this ring?
Some say to remove seater cap and polish the sharp edge that touches bullet

Strader01,
Yes. Get some medium to fine emery cloth (NAPA) and polish around the inside of the bottom edge of the seating stem. You may also want to make sure that the measurement across the neck of your loaded rounds. If they measure .253 and you are using the .251 it may be a case of too much neck tension. Redding bushings can tend to run .0005 to.001 under or over the size stamped on the top of the bushing. You may want to try a bushing the same diameter as a loaded round on new brass and see whats up. Single shot rifles allow you to try light tensions.

With new Lapua brass my New Redding Match series seating die is leaving a light ring around each jacketed 55 grain bullet around 1/4 down from top. I have tried both the neck bushings I have which are .251 and .252 and even a couple shells that haven't been neck sized and still have the same ring. Will this tension on the bullet change after first firing in my single shot Browning 1885 - 22-250 ? Anyone else get that small ring that they can feel around the bullet? seems like I need to polish the piece up inside that creates this ring?
Some say to remove seater cap and polish the sharp edge that touches bullet
What I found was that a .252 bushing just touches the case neck, but not really sizing anything, so I think after these cases are fired once each the new Lapua brass wont be as tight on the bullets. after the first firing I have the .252 and .251 bushing to see which will hold the bullet tight but not excessively tight and leaving the ring. I did also do a polish of the stem. I wrapped 600 grit wet and dry paper around a bullet and polished the area that it touched in the stem, then went to 1500 grit. used 6 pieces of 400 grit in all and trimmed them so no overlap. when one piece got worn I would switch to new piece.
Redding suggested to order a new replacement stem called the VLD style for Very low drag bullet. Not my style of bullet, but it might have more contact area on bullet.

Strader01,
You can try the VLD stem. What make bullet are you using?
I just got another e-mail from Redding and they suggested to use the VLD stem, so just ordered one to try from Brownells.
I am using 50 grain V-max with the red polymer tip and also 55 Grain Nosler ballistic tips with that orange polymer tip.
trying the IMR 8208 XBR powder

browning 1885 single shot 22-250, 1:14 twist, M-223 4-12 scope BDC

Strader01,
The standard seating stem should work with that style bullet. Can you take a fingernail and when you run it down the bullet across the mark on the bullet feel an indentation?

Strader01,
OK. Let us know what the VLD stem does. If it does the same thing or worse you may want to go to a courser grit and re-chamfer the inside bottom edge of the standard stem. Hope the VLD stem works !
Take care!

Exactly what I was thinking: try a VLD stem. That happened to me a couple times until I switched.
Should have the VLD stem tommorrow to try. Think I'll use a little bluing or felt marker and darken the area where the stem touches
The bullet and make sure the area is the right angle as to bullet shape.

Strader1,
Good thought! Don't forget that you"MAY" have to use some emery cloth on the inside of the stems mouth and polish any burrs off and smooth the angle some.
Take care!
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.