Rimfire barrel removal

Punisher

i have a Marlin 25 N .22LR I want to rebarrel.

I have no idea what the tenon is like. It has a retainer pin that I have removed, but don't have a clue how to get this barrel out. I have the action in a barrel vice and applied heat to action and tried to pound barrel off from the action end.

Any other ideas?

I would recommend that you take it to a good smith that has the tools and Knowledge to remove it.

Hopefully you have not damaged it with the heat and the pounding.

Some barrels are press fitted and the barrel tenon must be machined out
on a lathe. some are pined as you noted but still need to be machined out
if normal methods to remove it fail.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

JE Custom is right.....But, if you decide to keep trying, soak the action/barrel tenon with kroil, get a 5/8" brass rod and knock the barrel out. Hold the receiver firmly, and go to work. Keep us posted

I don't want to machine the tenon out. But I can as a last resort.

The thought cross my mind to do that and while I'm there, cut some threads on the inside to thread the new barrel in. I have never cut threads on the inside of anything like that, but there is a first time for everything.

I might build a fixture to press the barrel out in an arbor press.

Will post some pictures of it when I'm done though.

The reason I don't want to machine the tenon out is so I can find out whether that retention pin hole was drilled or if was a groove cut with the lathe.

I can't find any info on it because it's an old, obscure rimfire.

Most of those press in barrels had a cross pin that was tapered.
Yep, it's out. I really don't know how much rust is in there locking these parts together, but I think I'm going to have to make some blocks for the arbor press and press it out. I wanted to be gentle with it, but I guess I don't get to.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.