Howa Mini Barrel Removal

Hoping to avoid having to groove the barrel, but I'll keep the technique in my "tool kit." My lathe's bed is short enough that when I get around to trying to crown a barrel I'm going to have to make a support that screws on where the collet closer goes. Meaning most of the barrel will be inside of the spindle, no steady rest. Should it become necessary the set-up to do this groove will likely have to be very similar.

Hoping to avoid having to groove the barrel, but I'll keep the technique in my "tool kit." My lathe's bed is short enough that when I get around to trying to crown a barrel I'm going to have to make a support that screws on where the collet closer goes. Meaning most of the barrel will be inside of the spindle, no steady rest. Should it become necessary the set-up to do this groove will likely have to be very similar.
If you look at lathes set up for gunsmithing you will typically see a 4-jaw type setup on the left end of the spindle to center and support the barrel.

upload_2019-10-6_20-40-13.png

Tools waiting for me when I got home. Once I got the barrel vise OMG tight it took 3 smacks with a 4 lber. Didn't have to wail on it, choked up the hold and hit the action wrench handle with sharp smacks.

The bad news is that Howa 1500's are 25mm threads as best as I can guess by measuring the McGowen "Howage" barrel nut. Howa 1500 Mini barrel threads are a fine pitch 22mm....

Tools waiting for me when I got home. Once I got the barrel vise OMG tight it took 3 smacks with a 4 lber. Didn't have to wail on it, choked up the hold and hit the action wrench handle with sharp smacks.

The bad news is that Howa 1500's are 25mm threads as best as I can guess by measuring the McGowen "Howage" barrel nut. Howa 1500 Mini barrel threads are a fine pitch 22mm....

Next time try a lead hammer. Don't know why, but it seems to work much better. Must be because it doesn't rebound.

Don't own one (no knock-off equipped sports cars in my stable) and didn't really need it. The Engineer's hammer worked very well. Had it been much tighter I can see where something like that could be the final part of the overall solution.

Well, why not make your own 22mm nut?

That is almost within my capabilities except that I loathe single-pointing threads. I've only ever made male threads by single-point, never female threads.

I now know what the Howa 1500 Mini barrel thread is, M22 X 1.0 which is NOT the same as the std. Howa 1500. Best guess based on the McGowen barrel nut is that the std. 1500 barrel thread is 25mm or something close to that. So the "Howage" barrel nut will NOT work on a Howa Mini.

Barrel thread OD:
i-mNw79ZT-L.jpg

McGowen "Howage" barrel nut ID:
i-ckdh8cX-L.jpg

Just for reference, a Savage Barrel Nut ID:
i-Ht2NLN6-L.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.