Barrel Removal

twshore

I know this has been discussed before, but I need some advise. I recently purchased a Remington 700 for a heck of a good price and decided to build a custom rifle off of it. The only problem is I can not get this barrel off. I have a wheeler barrel vise and and action wrench from PTG. I may need to get some aluminum shims to put in the vise instead of the wooden ones but they have held up to all of the other factory barrels I have removed. This one is particularly stubborn. I have sprayed it with all kinds of break free solutions heated it up multiple times nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Put the receiver in a lathe, use a parting tool on the barrel, cut into the barrel about 0.010" forward of the action shoulder and only go deep enough to take the load off the barrel shoulder. After that it should be really easy to unscrew. I'm guessing that the factory barrel is basically worthless anyway ?

Howa's are notorious for have EXTREMELY tight barrels too and rather than take the chance of "springing" the action the ones I had they did just like Westcliffe01 suggested and put relief cuts in the barrel and it unscrewed easy.

I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to "spring" a receiver when you're trying to unscrew a stubborn barrel but rather than take the risk, I'd have relief cuts made so it unscrews easy.

X2 on what Westcliffe01 said.

Remington uses red Loctite on their barrels. I have used a hot air gun and left it there for about 30 minutes and you can see the Loctite turn white inside the scope base threads. Also what helps is put a big crescent wrench on the recoil lug and help turn with that. Some guys say that soaking the action in transmission fluid for a couple days helps if you don't have heat. Remington actions are a 8itch.
Tarey

Thank you for all of the suggestions after heating the action every few hours and keeping it drenched in multiple solutions I finally got the barrel off with some extra help. I was using an action wrench that went through the raceways. Now it is time to chamber me up a barrel and start slinging some lead!

I hope you are lucky and that you did not twist your action rails with that raceway wrench. You should only use a good action wrench that clamps on the out side of the forward part of the action when removing a factory barrel. And Howa actions are the tightest that I have removed. Browning actions are just as tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts