Rifle with Swappable Barrels

Does anybody have a rifle for which they have more than one caliber barrel they switch out? For instance, 7PRC and 300PRC barrels for one action. Does it work well? Technical issues?

Thanks!
I have a bighorn origin that I do this with. I've got a 300 prc and 7 saum barrel. It works well. It's not great. I'd look at the terminus zues I believe is the action that has a screw you tighten down on the action to lock the barrel in solace. With my setup I've gotta remove the stock and scope and put the barrel in a vice. It does work but it does require some work. Not a setup ideal for range day but it does work for the swap at home kinda setup. You can do it in the field and I have but it's a chore. Some guys will just hand tighten the barrels but I'm not that brave haha

Terminus bolts are interchangeable with all their actions and the bat vesper actions you can swap bolt faces. I'm sure there are other action manufacturers that have tolerances to switch bolts or swap bolt faces.

Just dipping into this myself. Sent 2 barrels to Kampfeld custom to chamber up to my long action kelbly nanook. I know the Kelbly "can" accept prefits but I don't trust prefits. That's just me. I've heard just enough stories of issues and knowing my luck I won't go that way. I had him measure headspace himself so I can just send him barrels from now on. The two barrels now I'm getting this week are a 27 Sherman mag and a 33 nosler. Might take a but to get things changed but I can't afford a whole new setup everytime. There is something to be said for same trigger, stock, action, and scope in consistency.

Every rifle is a switch barrel, buy an action wrench and presto you can take a barrel off and screw on another. There's no need to torque them on to the point you have to beat them with a hammer.

I use actions with integral recoil lugs and send in multiple barrels with the action and get them all cut at the same time, so the differences in the chambers from wear if it's not my reamer is minimal (if they're the same chamber).

I change out the whole bolt, each barrel is headspaced to the correct boltface so there's no risk of mixing them up. I order my actions with at least two bolts, did three in a LA Defiance.

Swapping barrels is WAY beyond the scope of most shooters, , and this is a crying shame..
Seems like most people are looking for a complete off-the-shelf sub-$1k rifle, because they shoot "just fine". Breaking off a factory barrel could cure anyone of trying though.

WTO switch lug excellence option
I did a .284, .30-284 and .22-250 for summer. Have a mag bolt to do a 300WSM when funds allow.
I called them last week about an order & asked if they would be interested in doing a SW on a long action MBF, specifically a 338 PRC.

He said he would have to check & get back to me.

Does anybody have a rifle for which they have more than one caliber barrel they switch out? For instance, 7PRC and 300PRC barrels for one action. Does it work well? Technical issues?

Thanks!
yes I have a bighorn set up for 300 win switch to 375 H&H short barrel 18 inch S,S. no trouble at all. I was given another proof barrel in 300 PRC in a swap for a proof 243 barrel so switched that out no,trouble there also easy to do and the 6.5 prc proof barrel is what I have on it now all you need is the go/no go, barrel vice, and action wrench. check scope setting.

Last edited:

Recent Posts